Include custom dial plan after trunk was selected?

I have 100+ extensions and about a dozen of them have unique emergency CallerIDs configured.

I have one emergency route with two trunks, where trunk A has individual E911 addresses configured for each of the emergency callerIDs, but trunk B has only one E911 address configured for one CallerID.

So whenever there is a 911 call failing over to trunk B when trunk A is down, I need to force a specific CallerID on trunk B (and not allow the extensions’ emergency callerIDs, cause those are not configured for E911 on trunk B, only on trunk A).
Normally for all non emergency calls, trunk B allows all CallerID, which is desired.

I don’t see a way of doing that from the GUI, so my question is how would I do that using custom dial plan.
Can I include custom dialplan AFTER a trunk was selected?

So the logic for the custom dial plan would be: Do nothing special on 911 calls if trunk A is available (GUI settings are sufficient), but set a specific CallerID if trunk B is selected.

I’ve not done it, but it’s possible using dialplan hooks described in this thread: Hooking for fun and income together with how to get the trunk name described later in the same thread: Hooking for fun and income

1 Like

Well first let’s cover something very important here. E9-1-1 addresses are not related to the trunks or the outbound routes. I know it sounds nitpicky but it also sounds like addresses are bound to trunks in this description so it can be confusing to people that don’t know.

Second, if you have 100+ extensions and they all present their own Emergency CallerID over Trunk A, are all the DIDs being presented in the CallerID registered to the same address? More importantly, is it the same address as the DID being forced in the CallerID on Trunk B?

I ask this because if they all have the same address registered then presenting individual CallerID is kinda pointless for E9-1-1, it all is the same location. However, if they are not all registered to the same address and users have a DID that is registered to its own unique location then presenting a single CallerID over Trunk B is going to be an issue.

So again, all 100+ DIDs have the same registered E9-1-1 address assigned to them this isn’t really a big deal. But if the 100+ DIDs are not registered to the same addresses (all or some) then forcing a single CallerID out the “backup trunk” is going to put people in the wrong PSAP, delay their E9-1-1 call and thus add more time to an emergency response.

1 Like

About 100 extensions do not have their own emergency callerID.
15 of them do, with each one registered to a different address.

That’s right. The problem is my backup provider (Twilio) will not allow 911 calls if the CallerID is not a number that’s theirs, they will then block the call.
So I have to either force a single Twilio callerID, accepting the downside that the address will be wrong (addresses are relatively close, so PSAP would probably still be the same), or get a unique Twilio DID for each of the extensions that already have one with the main provider, and write custom dial plan accordingly, so the CallerIDs will be forced if backup trunk is being used.

Understand that just because the addresses are close to each other, doesn’t mean they will be routed some place close. You need to know what PSAP you are ending up in with your Twilio number so that you can determine how close this is to any other location.

The user will call 911 and get the wrong PSAP, this also means the address they have is incorrect. This now requires the caller to be able to provide that information to the PSAP so that they can then re-route that call to the proper PSAP so they can dispatch the proper response for the call. That 3-5 minutes of dealing with the caller to get the address, to call that PSAP and transfer the call over to them and then for the proper PSAP to dispatch a response can mean life and death in certain situations or increase long term affects.

This doesn’t cover situations in which the caller (or anyone there) is unable to relay address/location information to the PSAP, which will also increase the response time.

Which means at the end of the day when people are looking for those to blame for the poor response time and why the emergency response was delayed, it will trace back to the provider (you) and you will be on the hook for any responsibilities/fault to be laid at your feet.

Improper E9-1-1 routing is just something that can be avoided. In my opinion, if there are 15 out of 100 DIDs that have a different E9-1-1 location then the extra $15/month is worth it. Think of it like an insurance payment. You may never have to use it but in the case when you do, it’s there to cover your ass.

The other options is to get a backup provider that supports off-net E9-1-1 and use them for this.

1 Like

Do you know a specific provider that does offer that?

Bandwidth, Vitelity, VoIP Innovations and Onvoy (or whatever they call themselves now) I think has it. You would just have to do some research on who offers what and what rates you can get.

VI does for sure. There is a $1 per month charge per DID (IIRC) for the service.

Oh there is still a cost to off-net E9-1-1 but again it all depends on the deal you can cut with the provider.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.