Imported (uploaded) recordings not being played

Hello everybody.

I’m experiencing a problem that I believe I did not see it earlier versions of FreePBX. The version I am using is 2.8.0.2.

I had one of our office assistant recording some greetings using Microsoft Media Player that are to be used for some IVRs. The recordings were saved as .wav files and I was able to import/upload them with any problem. The greeting/prompts, however does not play when the IVR kicks in for an incoming call. It is just dead air. I know the IVR works because I can choose the menu item from my memory and it takes me to the appropriate extensions, etc. Also, the other interesting fact is that I have another recording that was done directly on the system using a (sip) softphone and headset, and that one plays just fine.

Any ideas as to where the problem could be? Thanks.

Sincerely
Towhid Islam
[email protected]

Did you read the note on the System Recordings page:

“Note that if you’re using .wav, (eg, recorded with Microsoft Recorder) the file must be PCM Encoded, 16 Bits, at 8000Hz”

Chances are those are not the default settings for recording using Microsoft Media Player.

Yes, I did but I cannot tell what is the default on MS Media Player (recorder). Does anybody know? Thanks.

Sincerely
Towhid Islam
[email protected]

I think when you select WAV the Media Player will default to some very high bit rate like 1.4 Mb which is great for music but worthless for telephony. There are plenty of free file converters [Google Free Audio File Converter]. You can also get free recorders that are easier to make sure you have the right parameters [e.g. freecorder].

Thanks for the info. I thought about audio file converters and will give one of them a try.