Identify caller id being forwarded

Help is needed. I have a phone number XXX-6530 forwareded all calls to XXX-5728. Now when you call 6530 like it should, it does go to 5728 showing the number that is calling in, the only thing is; On the screen of 5728 its not specified if the call is coming from 6530 or going directly to 5728. I am using cisco 7940 phones on both phones. What iam asking is, if there is a way, when you dial 6530 and it goes to the phone 5728 the caller id would or could it show a distinction that the call is coming from 6530.

EX: 6530 is the main phone, and the sectary is 5728, 5728 needs to answer with a certain greeting when receiving the calls from 6530 but can not identify if the call is coming from 6530 or directly to 5728.

Any help is needed thanks.

Using asterisk and freepbx.

See http://www.freepbx.org/support/documentation/howtos/how-to-change-incoming-callerid - this may at least point you in the right direction.

I will look into the link, thanks

The last tiem I needed to do that a employee left and we wanted calls to that person to gte redirected to new person. So we did the following:

in Extensions_custom.conf

[ext-local-custom]
exten => 267,1,GOTO(ext-local,167,1)

267 was the old extension, 167 is the new extension. Then the calls show up as they should.

Does that distinguish which exten: they are actually calling? For ex: in your case if they were to dial 267 the call gets routed to 167. How does 167 know they dialed 167 or 267 is the word forwarded before the outbound number there? Well I will give this a shot and tell you how it went. Although “wiseoldowl” gave a good link on this, it was not what I was looking for: that goes for the whole trunk, I just need this done for one extension.

Thanks for your input.

no that did not mark the call in any way as a forward. It is be easy to add the line of code to have that done though and make the goto the second line.

exten => 267,1,Set(CALLERID(num)=0${CALLERID(num)})
exten => 267,n,GOTO(ext-local,167,1)

Or if you don’t want to modify the number but can do the name do
exten => 267,1,Set(CALLERID(name)=“FWD:”${CALLERID(name)})
as the first line.

Ok, will try that, that looks more of what I was trying to get at.

I think you could create a ring group, place a CID prefix in the ring group and then forward the calls from that extension to the ring group. Put the destination phone in the extension list for the ring group.

Thank you jmullinix…

Everything works perfect. Also a good tip is; On the bottom where it says destination if no answer, if you go to core you can put any voicemail box ext you would like… Thanks again.

The way Jmullinix said worked perfect and did a really good job, I have also came across another way without creating a ring group or having to forward the exten to the ring group.

ALSO

What I have found very useful to get this working correctly is; If you log into Free PBX and on the left where the links are for
extensions, feature codes, etc. Find the link that says “FALLOW ME,” Once clicked on Fallow me, All of your extensions will be located on the right, For example If your trying to forward calls from 6567 to 6599, You would find the ext 6567 and click the add button. Then your “edit fallow me” page will be brought up with the ext 6567 in the extension list. From here you may remove the exten 6567 and input 6599, and also my change the CID Prefix name to forwarded or whatever you perfer, by naming the CID Prefix allows you to see who is calling your 6567 rather than 6599. Also at the bottom where indicating “destination if no answer”, Find the “core” option and click on the delta arrow and find the voice box for 6567, so this way if 6599 does not answer the person calling will get the voice mail of 6567 thus being the original person trying to contact. This does seem a lil bit more complicated than setting up a ring group but it is all done through free PBX interface and no call forwarded buttons are needed. I hope I have explained this throughly, if not please post a comment and I will reply more throughly.