FreePBX | Register | Issues | Wiki | Portal | Support

IAX BLF - it won't really work, right?

(D E) #1

I am wondering about linking my home and work FreePBX servers with an IAX trunk - am I right in thinking that BLF won’t really work (without not insignificant faffing about) across two distinct Asterisk servers?

(Dave Burgess) #2

Yeah - you can kind of do it, but you end up repeating yourself and sending hints around “out of band”. It’s not impossible, and you’ll definitely get a real feel for how Hints work after, but it’s not something that you’re going to be able to poke a couple buttons on the GUI and magically get it to go.

If you want to try - go for it. Just understand it’s going to be hard from the outset.

(D E) #3

Thanks, Dave. I’m kind of wondering if linking the two servers is even necessary - surely I must be able to find a way to leverage ZeroTier…I can already use ZeroTier to connect to either Asterisk server from a remote location as if I was on the same LAN.

(Jared Busch) #4

You cannot load ZeroTier on the phones, which is what you need to let the phone register over ZeroTier. ZT does have a gateway setup you can implement, but I would never allow something like that as it is no different than a full IPSEC VPN connecting your two networks.

And full network connectivity means crap on your home network can infect the work network.

(Jared Busch) #5

Hard and not the point of IAX2. Just because a technology allows a thing to be possible, doe not mean it is wise to do it.

(system) closed #6

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.