How to roll back an asterisk version in the Distro?

We had been running Distro 10.13.66-16 and seeing there were security updates, applied the updates to move it to 10.13.66-17, and of course the system restarted as described. I am now getting barraged with messages from users on the PBX about calls being dropped, especially coming from the queues. I have questioned the users, and nobody had any issues prior to today. I can only assume we are ticking a bug in the latest Asterisk 13.11.1 to 13.12, and need to roll this back to the 13.11.1 release to see if this resolves the issue.

What is the best procedure for running back to a prior Asterisk version in FreePBX Distro??

i am not sure how to do best to roll this back, but i am chasing something similar. we see what appears to be a lost network connection multiple times a day. perhaps not the same thing you are seeing, but it started after the upgrade. by the way, i had to roll the epm back to 13.0.84.3 because that seems to be the last version that was building files correctly. i may look at rolling back other modules until i get rid of these dropped calls. we know it is a network issue because isymphony also disconnects at the same time

I know this is not a network issue, the network is quite solid with lots of redundancy, even the 10GE links are all fully redundant.

That aside, this system has been running great, and after the update a few hours ago before the start of work, I have been hammered with support tickets over lost calls. So the only thing I can think of that has changed is the jump from 13.11.1 to 13.12, and as such it would just make sense to roll back to the prior version and see if it clears the issue. I don’t mind trying to debug the issue, but not on a live call center.

I know this can be done, their support team does it, I just want to learn the correct way they feel this should be done…

If you are on the FreePBX Disto, asterisk can be rolled back using yum. To get a list of versions available:

yum --showduplicates list asterisk13

Then choose one of those packages and downgrade using:

yum downgrade asterisk*13.11.2

Thanks Lorne… I for sure think the new 13.12 has a call issue, and being a large system it’s running on, it’s rearing it’s head in superb style…

1 Like

Before downgrading, check to see if there are any pending asterisk updates with

yum update

To my knowledge, we in support are not seeing reports of issues with 13.12, and indeed it is known to fix a few issues from earlier versions.

Nope, no updates pending at this time:

yum update

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmod
Setting up Update Process
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
No Packages marked for Update

FYI, I ran the update script to jump from -16 to -17 late last night, and then the support tickets opened up today, and it’s usually quiet. I am getting in messages like this:

“I lost reception on a very important phone call three times. The other party called me, I answered on my headset, I spoke very briefly, and then the call was disconnected. I had to use a conference room to continue the call. Would you please check the service on my phone?”

and

“Thomas (Ext. 8536) is having an issue that when he picks up a call from the queue, the call immediately drops. He restarted his phone to try to clear it, but the problem persisted. Can someone take a look? Thanks.”

“Christy (Ext. 8545) is having the same problem. Like Thomas there is no issue with calls direct to the extension, it is just calls coming out of the queue system. Christy said she had these calls drop from her extension at 2:34 and 2:57 PM today. Thanks.”

I wrote back and asked the various people if this has been going on, or did it just start today, and the response was it started today. So the only thing that has changed is that I took and ran the update to -17 earlier that day and restarted this system.

Now on the other side, I have it running on some smaller systems with no issues, but this 400+ extension system usually finds any weaknesses very fast. We had an issue a while back with I think it was 13.9 if I recall, that had an issue that was chased all the way back to Digium.

Anyway I figured the easiest way to try and see if it’s related to the update is to just take and roll back the version, and see if tomorrow runs smoothly…

1 Like

Well it looks like someone turned in the issue to Digium, as this is exactly what was happening. Here is the release update below:

The release of Asterisk 13.12.2 resolves an issue reported by the community and would have not been possible without your participation.
Thank you!

The following is the issue resolved in this release:

Bugs fixed in this release:

• ASTERISK-26523 - chan_sip: Asterisk 13.12.1 disconnects incoming
    calls after 2 minutes - rtptimeout behaving badly - regression
    (Reported by Michael Keuter)

Hopefully you will get this pushed out into the repository soon, as it looks to fix the issue…

1 Like

We generally publish within a week or so of official release. Did you note the work-around in the bug ticket:

if disabling rtptimeout parameter on sip.conf , it works fine.

1 Like

I didn’t see it till just a few minutes ago when it hit the list. I had already rolled back to 13.11.2 last night, and just FYI, not a single complaint from the client today. So as I am rolled back, I didn’t attempt the fix, and will probably just wait till you push 13.12.2 into the Sangoma repository.

I did want to at least report it, in case anyone else had run into the issue, that it was a bug and appears to be fixed…

13.12.2 has been published for the Distro.