How to rename Anonymous Calls?

Hi,

Does anyone happen to know how to go about changing the Caller ID from “anonymous” to something like “Unknown” for incoming calls? I can’t seem to find any solutions online for this. I did try the “set caller id” option in the extensions.conf file but that didn’t work.

Thanks,
Alex.

Hi!

I don’t think there is any way to do this except using custom code…

The only thing I think could have done that is CID SuperFecta and I don’t think it has any module to do that…

Frankly, and sorry for saying that, it’s probably because there is not much to be gained by doing this…

First, never put any custom code in extensions.conf when you use FreePBX… It will get overwritten…

Put your extension related custom code in extensions_custom.conf…

Yes, you want to set the caller ID but only when the caller id name is “anonymous” (don’t forget you might have to deal with upper and lower case…).

If it is not, you might want to jump (a variant of a good old Goto) over the code that sets the caller id.

Don’t forget you want to test the name of the CALLERID.

Lastly, for your code to be called you must set it as context of your trunk (ie the context= of your trunk).

It is very important that once your custom code has done its job it must Goto the normal trunk context…

I think that’s the general idea, it’s possible I might have forgotten something…

For something which is similar to what you what to do take a look at code from the from-pstn-e164-us context and how it is used… This use the number, you want to use the name.

You should also take a look at the code from from-pstn-toheader for additional ideas…

Don’t try this on a Production server (or at least not on a Production trunk), chances are it will break at first…

Good luck and have a nice day!

Nick

1 Like