How to give external caller possibility to choose which internal extension to call

Is it possible to give an external caller the possibility to control which internal extension to call?

I.e. when an external caller rings to the PBX, the PBX should pick up the call and give a number of alternatives, “Welcome to Company X. To be connected to sales - press 1, support press 2, finance - press 3 …” and with these choices be able to call/connect to different internal extensions?

BR
/Jan-Anders

Of course. You’re looking for an IVR
https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=4161621

Yes this is a big part of what FreePBX does. You’ll point your inbound route to an IVR. The IVR will give options options to the caller, which can either point at extensions, ring groups, or queues.

Thanks, wasn’t aware of the terminology. Works like a charm :slight_smile:

This success leads to an additional question, if the external call wont be picked and the external caller is hanging up - the PBX keeps ringing the internal extension until timeout, the PBX doesn’t detect that the external caller has hang up.

Any ideas where to start digging?

BR
/Jan-Anders

That’s typical of an analogue FXO line without proper disconnect supervision, or with disconnect supervision incorrectly configured.

Thanks for pointing out this!
You where correct, I’ve problem with my FXO-line and the (missing) disconnect signal (Linksys PAP2 - locked by operator).
BR
/Jan-Anders

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.