How to configure Email? (so I can get Voicemail)

I must be going crazy because I searched high and low in the forums and FreePBX and can’t find the settings anywhere to enter my SMTP server info so Asterisk can start sending me my voicemails!

I saw some discussions about using sendmail and such, but nothing on how to use an external SMTP server to send the voicemails out.

Am I blind? I’ve literally been looking for HOURS for this setting. Thanks!

also… FreePBX let me put in email addresses to send the messages to, but nothing ever came :frowning:

since it never asked for an SMTP server, I assumed it used Linux’s own SMTP server to send out, but apparently that isn’t working. I’d rather use an external SMTP anyway, so my voicemails aren’t marked as spam coming from an unknown SMTP :wink:

What version of FreePBX?

Did you set “Email attachment” to yes for the extension?

Call the extension and then look at /var/log/maillog and see if the system attempts to send an email.

You need to setup either postfix or sendmail to send the emails. What Distribution are you using?

Yes the box is checked.

I didn’t know where that log file was located… I checked it and it says it was “accepted for delivery,” but I never got a message! I checked my spam folder too. How do I put in my SMTP server so that it doesn’t have to use my server’s built-in server?

Oh it’s FreePBX 2.9 on top of *1.8. The original distro was the latest version of AsteriskNOW (2.7 on top of *1.6). I did not test it before the upgrade, so I don’t know if that messed it up. Something is messed up, because I don’t even see a place to put in my ISP’s SMTP server, so it’s defaulting to using the dreaded internal SMTP server.

Tony: I hate to hijack my own thread, but while I’ve got you on the line, do you know why FreePBX won’t install MOST of SchmoozeCom software through module add-on manager (I want web callback badly) if you have the latest version of PHP (5.3) installed? I pretty much gave up on that problem after spending hours, no days, trying to downgrade to PHP 5.2 just to appease FreePBX into letting me get your add-ons. FreePBX throws the error “PHP Component Zend Optimizer is required but missing from you PHP installation.” but after PHP 5.2, there’s no more need for Zend Optimizer with PHP 5.3 (and it actually won’t even install with PHP 5.3), although there is something called Zend guardloader, and installing that does not appease FreePBX. Neadless to say (attempting to) downgrade PHP so I could use old Zend Optimizer made a huge mess and actually could be the cause of the problem in this thread!! I’m contemplating taking screen shots of all my settings in FreePBX, formatting, and doing a clean install.

I have the same question as tadpole.

How do we put in our own SMTP server so that FreePBX uses the mail server on our local network?

Figure out if you are using postfix or sendmail and than google setting that up. It has nothing to do with FreePBX but hwo your LAMP stack is configured.

The old and hated Trixbox had a configuration page for this.

I must be going crazy because I searched high and low in the forums and FreePBX and can’t find the settings anywhere to enter my SMTP server info so Asterisk can start sending me my voicemails!

I saw some discussions about using sendmail and such, but nothing on how to use an external SMTP server to send the voicemails out.

zieltec,

You have to configure SENDMAIL to connect to the external SMTP server. Simple as that.

It’s all in the Main.cf file.

Try this link:

It worked for me.