How do I configure a mobile soft phone app (Zoiper or Bria Solo) to run best with Freepbx

My client’s Freepbx server was set up in their office with 4 Yealink phones about 2 years ago. Recently, they had to move, and the new location is not yet suitable for the server and phones. Their secretary is working from her home but doesn’t want her Yealink phone setup there. Currently all calls bypass the PBX completely, and forward to her cell. This isn’t working for her sanity, calls come in at all hours.

I have set up the PBX server in my house. I can get Zoiper to work with my Freepbx from my iphone. Its not perfect. The lag is horrible when I’m outside of my LAN. Ive heard smart phone apps are not great, but maybe I’m not using the correct app or if I am, its not configured correctly? Any tips, or has anything been written specifically about this? The STUN server is enabled. Is that supposed to be? Like I said, it works, just not great.

It sounds to me that this is question of changing SIMs to use a different network operator with less buffer bloat in their network. I doubt there is any incentive to provide low latency for the type of packet needed for VoIP, giving that they are providing a service optimised for voice, as the basic mobile phone service. There may be a market advantage in providing low latency for rather shorter UDP packets, to support interactive gamers, I suppose.

I guess it might be worth trying forcing the phone to use 4G or 5G exclusively, for mobile data, as they provide progressively lower latencies, e.g. https://www.4g.co.uk/news/4g-injecting-new-lease-life-online-gaming-mobile-broadband/ (this focusses on gaming, and it is possible that the longer packets for media are at a disadvantage).

I use Groundwire, selected for its reliability and using no battery when idle.
I called FreePBX echo test (in Vultr cloud ~18 ms from here).
Over Wi-Fi, ~330 ms mouth-to-ear latency:

The big spikes are me tapping on the mic; the small ones are the echo.

It’s worse over 5G, perhaps 400 ms.
I tried Zoiper and it was significantly worse, maybe 500 ms on Wi-Fi.

She should use scheduled do-not-disturb on her phone. She can set it up so key contacts will ring in anyhow.

Will the people who will be making and taking calls be sitting at their desks? If so, they would be on Wi-Fi.

A cloud server can probably reduce latency a bit, unless your home is on fiber.

Normally not, but if it causes trouble there is usually one way audio or none at all. It does not affect latency.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.