Hi I am new to FreePbx

Question will extension to extension calling work before calling the current carrier to port over?

Yes, and you can (and probably should) get calling between extensions working properly before even configuring any trunks.

You usually request the new carrier for a port-in, without any communication with the old. What country are you in? In US and Canada, you usually give the new carrier the account number and PIN at the old, along with a current invoice, as proof that the number is yours. In some European countries, you dial a special number (using the old carrier) and you are given an authorization code that you supply to the new.

If possible, get a trunk with the new carrier and a temporary number. Set up the system to call out using your main number as caller ID. Set up call forwarding with the old carrier to the temporary number. Once you’re satisfied that everything is working, ask the new carrier to port the number. After the port is complete and you are receiving calls directly on your main number, call the old carrier and confirm that they have canceled the number and have stopped billing for it.

1 Like

I am in the the US. i get dial tones on extensions but when i try to dial each other nothing happens. If i press the # symbol it starts a call timer but never rings.

On some phones, that means nothing because they will play a dial tone even if not at all configured.

At Reports → Asterisk Info, do the channels for your extensions show as online?
What phones or other devices are you using?
How did you configure them (manually, OSS EPM, commercial EPM)? Using pjsip or chan_sip?

If your phone shows as online, dial *43 (echo test) and report whether you hear the announcement and whether the echo test works.

If offline, look at Reports → Asterisk Logfiles and post any registration or similar errors you see.

They show offline, using Polycom SoundPoint IP335, manually configured and using pjsip.

At the Asterisk command prompt, type
pjsip set logger on
reboot a phone and wait for it to fail to register.

If the registration attempts appear, paste the relevant section of the Asterisk log at pastebin.freepbx.org and post the link here.

If nothing appears, describe any networking gear (routers, firewalls, virtual machine networking, etc.) between phone and PBX. Also describe all non-default settings in phone and any non-default extension settings in the PBX (other than extension number and secret).

Okay, thanks I will do and get this info once I get home and update here asap.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.