Help with phone registration with new PBX

Just recently replaced an old PBX at one of the offices that I support. The phones were previously registering via chan sip but for the new PBX I opted to set them up as PJSIP. I also created new secret passwords instead of using the pre supplied secret password within the PBX admin portal. I knew something weird was happening when I went to Reports > Asterisk Info > Peers; and noticed that some of the phones were registering but others were not. Ideally I was thinking that none of the phones should be registering as I changed them to PJSIP as well as changed the secret password. I logged into a phone that was showing as registered and changed the password to what I had set on the PBX system and also changed the port from 5060 to 5160 for PJSIP. Immediately upon doing that - the phone went from registered to registered failed.

I’m drawing a blank here on what the issue could be and how some of these phones are even registering to begin with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Appliance: Clearly IP 710
Phones: Yealink T42g

edit: I changed the extension back to SIP on the PBX server and changed the port on the phone gui to 5060 - no change. device still doesn’t register.

Try asking them.

I would but I don’t believe this issue to be hardware related. I am running FreePBX version 15.0.17.63

[quote=“sorvani, post:4, topic:79542, full:true”

The problem is you have no idea what you are doing and didn’t post anything close to useful information.

[/quote]

Take it easy there bud. I’ve registered plenty of phones which is why I find it strange these phones are having issues registering. I am not running a customized instance of FreePBX, I did a fresh install.

Update: I was able to get the phones to register, just not like how I wanted or usually perform this process. The phones are setup at PJSIP on the FreePBX system. Typically in the past, I have PJSIP phones register using port 5160 but as previously stated when I set them to 5160 they would fail to register. I left the phones setup as PJSIP on the FreePBX system but on the phone portal instead of registering to port 5160 (CHAN_PJSIP) I set them to port 5060 (CHAN_SIP) and they registered right away.

Looks like Jared Busch woke up on the wrong side of the bed this week. Anyways folks - I figured out what the issue was and it had nothing to do with the ClearlyIP hardware I am using.

Under Settings > Asterisk SIP Settings > SIP Legacy Settings - I had the bind port set to 5060 as well as the TLS bind port set to 5060. I changed the TLS bind port to 5160. For the SIP Settings [chan_pjsip] I changed the Port to Listen On from 5060 to 5160.

Not quite sure how I missed these settings but if anyone runs into a similar issue this was the fix!

I hope Jared turns his frown upside down :slight_smile:

So you have the ports set as follows?

chan_sip: UDP/5060, TLS/5160
pjsip: UDP/5160

Definitely wouldn’t recommend this as a “fix” for anything. This port arrangement is confusing. Are you actually using chan_sip? are you using TLS?

Ideally, use only PJSIP. Disable the chan_sip driver and have your phones and trunks configured with PJSIP.

1 Like

Thank you for the info Billsimon! Previously we were using chan_sip but with this new system I’d like the phones to use chan_pjsip. I have disabled chan_sip as you recommended.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.