Help with iSymphony Jabber Settings

Can someone tell me (or point me to some documentation) how the iSymphony Jabber Settings in the Extensions module is used. It’s not clear to me if they have any function at all unless the paid for iSymphony Operator module is installed. Can these settings be used to log the extension into a local openfire jabber server for example and if so what information is passed from the extension to jabber, presence, status?

Try here and also here.

Davide.

Found a good “how to” here:
http://pbxinaflash.com/community/index.php?threads/how-to-install-openfire-and-asterisk-im-on-pbxaf-1-3.3156/

Got my plugin to log in now.

There is already an XMPP server installed on the FreePBX Distro, and you can configure extension user names and passwords by utilizing this module http://schmoozecom.com/freepbx/xmpp.php

Thanks for this. apologies for the post below, this was posted in error and belongs to another post.

Thanks for the links, I get what they are saying BUT, without iSymphony, do these settings in the Extensions module have any function, i.e. can the presence of the xmpp client defined in the extensions module, xmpp settings have any influence over call flow e.g. if xmpp user status is unavailable then calls to the extsnsion go to voicemail etc?

This is where I become confused. If I go to Admin -> XMPP it takes me to the Schmooze website as its a paid for module, so unless I’m missing something there is not a free XMPP server installed with the FreePBX Distro right ?

The XMPP server is free and open source. If you want to have FreePBX manage the XMPP server that uses the Paid XMPP module. You can also hang configure the XMPP Server. Its called Prosody.

The confusion continues. I googled and found these instruction for installing Prosody
http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FCM/Installing+Prosody+RPM
However nothing seems to have happened, the XMPP module that was supposed to be installed is a paid for module?

So how do I use the open source XMPP server?

If you don’t want to purchase the module you should remove it and configure Prosody by hand.

Technically I guess you do not really have to remove the module. You can still configure Prosody by hand the $20.00 module just makes it a lot easier.

AFAIK Yes it is.

That’s its description:

“COMMERCIAL MODULE REQUIRES A LICENSE FOR IT TO FUNCTION. Please visit www.schmoozecom.com/oss.php. Manage and configure a XMPP Server Prosody and requires the Prosody RPM from FreePBX be installed.”

Davide.

OK so included in the FreePBX Distro for free, theres a single user iSymphony server running on port 5222, not sure what it does but I see it’s running.

If I manually configure Prosody on the same server (Port 5222) wouldn’t this conflict with the iSymphony server, both running on port 5222 ?

Incidentally I have an Openfire IM Server running on the same server as FreePBX on port 5222, would this interfere with the iSymphony server?

Hi I tried installing the Prosody RPM using:

http://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FCM/Installing+Prosody+RPM

It didn’t work ?

Well…as far as I know two (or more) concurrent (I mean at the same time on the same host) services shouldn’t share the same binding (in terms of IP:Port pair): they will not work as expected or, better, just one should be able to run, the one which came on up and running first, the second one will give an error.

If I were you I will check which services I should use and which not.

AFAIK, the XMPP Module could (or could not) be used (if Licensed) to manage the Prosody Chat Server (the service) and, in fact, is named XMPP Chat Management as reported on this Wiki page (maybe a better name would have been Prosody Management but XMPP is more generic, as it cope with the latter name of the Chat Framework/Protocol, the former one was Jabber).

At this point I don’t understand what’s the iSymphony role here (in terms of Chat clients/Chat Server) and, if any, it shouldn’t use 5222 port at all (See here for port used by a stock iSymphony Server) so it should be co-located and co-run in the same machine that hosts Asterisk/FreePBX Server and Prosody Chat Server.

Hi parnassus, thank you, this has been my point all along. If new to FreePBX so please accept my apologies if I’m not getting this or don’t understand the terminology. I have tried to research this via WIKI and Google first, but nothing that makes it any clearer comes up.

Based on an earlier response to my question I installed Prosody not realising that it was already installed with the distro and called the XMPP module (which I thought was the iSymphony Module). Realising my mistake, I removed Prosody which it appears was mistake #2 as Asterisk is now complaining that Prosody isn’t there on restart.

So if anyone can tell me how I reinstal Prosody (from the correct repro) I’d be very grateful.

Like parnassus, I still don’t understand the role of the Free, single user iSymphony module as supplied in the FreePBX distro, what does it do, what functionality does it support without having to purchase the commercial version?

If it is, as I now understand (I think) a fully functioning XMPP server using Prosody, but limited to a single user, can the Prosody server be manually configured to support more users, would these users take their config from the settings in the extensions module or is this reserved for the commercial version, should I leave Prosody de-installed and focus on manually integrating my Openfire XMPP server with Asterisk?

Hi Taffman, I think Prosody (XMPP) Server could thought as a service that could be linked to Asterisk but it could also be thought (and so deployed) as a standalone Instant Messaging server (Clients would be all the XMPP compliant clients out there).

At the same time I think a similar coupling between services could be though between iSymphony and Asterisk.

So, AFAIK, software components involved here are:

• the Schmooze Com Inc. Prosody Server (formerly known as XMPP Server/OpenFire Server, isn’t it?)
  • The FreePBX XMPP (Chat Management) Commercial Module to manage the above one and useful to deploy IM and Chat users too.
  • Asterisk with FreePBX (I mean FreePBX Distro…)
  • iSymphony (Server and its clients…not extensively cited here), this one should be used to manage/run Flash Operator Panels, AFAIK.

So Prosody + Asterisk (with/without XMPP Chat Management Module) = IM Server with Asterisk inter-connection and iSymphony + Asterisk = Flash Operator Panels connected to Asterisk.
Maybe all these components could be made to speak together to build up a Prosody + Asterisk (with/without XMPP Chat Management Module) + iSymphony = IM Server with Asterisk and FOPs.

Maybe I missed some points but I think this is the main picture.

If you have FreePBX Distro try to see the result of a yum list prosody to see which Prosody version you have/you could install and from which repository.

In my case (a pristine FreePBX Distro) I obtain (pardon me the text formatting):
[font=Courier][root@freepbx ~]# yum list prosody*
Installed Packages
prosody.x86_64 0.8.2-5shmz @schmooze-commercial
[/font]

So note that installed Prosody is the Schmooze one (see also the repository reference).

And more:
[font=Courier][root@freepbx ~]# yum info prosody
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmod
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Installed Packages
Name : prosody
Arch : x86_64
Version : 0.8.2
Release : 5shmz
Size : 758 k
Repo : installed
From repo : schmooze-commercial
Summary : Flexible communications server for Jabber/XMPP
URL : http://prosody.im/
License : MIT
Description : Prosody is a flexible communications server for Jabber/XMPP written in Lua.
: It aims to be easy to use, and light on resources. For developers it aims
: to be easy to extend and give a flexible system on which to rapidly
: develop added functionality, or prototype new protocols.[/font]

In my case the Prosody RPM was installed (as per Default in FreePBX Distro) even if I’m not using it (yet).

And so, in the end, to reinstall Prosody you should perform simply a:
yum install prosody
If enabled Repositories are the default ones.

Hi Thanks for this, I already managed to re-install Prosody, heres what I have now:

Installed Packages
prosody.i386 0.8.2-42shmz schmooze-commercial

and

]# yum info prosody
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, kmod
Repository schmooze-commercial is listed more than once in the configuration
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
Installed Packages
Name : prosody
Arch : i386
Version : 0.8.2
Release : 42shmz
Size : 740 k
Repo : installed
From repo : schmooze-commercial
Summary : Flexible communications server for Jabber/XMPP
URL : http://prosody.im/
License : MIT
Description : Prosody is a flexible communications server for Jabber/XMPP written in Lua.
: It aims to be easy to use, and light on resources. For developers it aims
: to be easy to extend and give a flexible system on which to rapidly
: develop added functionality, or prototype new protocols.

OK so I now have Prosody re-installed. I have added users and confirmed that the Prosody server is working by logging each user on via a PC client and chatting to each other however, Adding these users XMPP logon details to their extension in FreePBX Extension module does nothing I can see.

From what I understand the XMPP account defined in each users extension should log on to the Prosody server, all are showing Off Line. Am I missing some vital step or is this functionality just not working?