Help needed with end-point config/auto-provisioning

I have just received my Tiptel IP 284 & 286 phones. i would like to setup my phones to be configured automatically. the entire process is a little vague to me at this point and i can not find any good guide to point me in the right direction!

basically put this is what i would like to do:

• auto assign account to each phone
  • configure so called DSS/memory keys on each phone (all phones the same profile). eg have some keys as BLF or extensions
  • use some sort of directory/contact book. on my phones i have an option between local directory, remote phone-book and broadsoft! i understand local directory but how do i get about configuring a remote phone-book?

i understand that the tiptel is the same as yealink phones. and have enabled the yealink T26 and T28 models under End Point Configuration. Under End Point Configuration Setting > Product Options/Configuration Editor, under the yealink and model number i see the two files y0000000000$suffix.cfg and $mac.cfg. but im not sure how i can use this and apply it to the phones!

many thanks

I am also interested in a clear guide on how the end-point config/auto-provisioning works.

I had to manually create “devices” and then assign phones to them in the end-point-manager. Its not really “auto-provisioning” in the sense that it just works but it helps to quickly configure and deploy phones based on templates.

When I originally saw the option I was thinking “Plug phone in watch it create a device and boot”. Its my understanding now thats just not the case.

It’s near impossible to do your magical auto provisioning unless you wrote or used a custom tftp-server. thats the only way.

I realize its just not there yet but the magical auto-provisioning would be great to have someday. One of my day-job tasks is deploy/manage/maintain a ShoreTel phone system and it has true auto-provisioning. You plugin a phone it boots loads as an “anonymous” phone. Users can then login and it assigns their extension to that phone and changes the phones display to show their name rather than “anonymous”.

You never see any “device” extensions/numbers its all hidden.

It’s hardly plug and play with the Shoretel. There is a lot going on the scene to make that happen. Add it VLAN’s and the Shortel’s have to boot twice.

Anyway, Aastra has XML scripts for their phones (67 series) that do exactly what you want. You take the phone out of the box, it boots up and displays an XML page that asks for user extension and password. It then pulls all the user information including speed dials and custom button assignments.

guys any tips on my actual problem configuring the memory buttons on the tiptel/yealink? or a comprehensive guide on end-point configuration?

how about using the directory to list all the extensions, so users dont have to look what is a users extensions!

any tips on configuring DHCP server on MS windows 2008 for tftp. i have added the PIAF ip in option 66 and the following path in option 67 “/tftpboot/y000000000000.cfg”

my question is, is this correct? and the two telephones of 284 & 286 have two different file names, for example

286: y000000000000.cfg
284: y000000000004.cfg

in addition we have MAC.cfg! but option 67 allows only to set one file!

i am confused!

You don’t need option 67.

The phone requests it’s base file and mac.cfg