Have you setup FreePBX on cloud servers like DigitalOcean / Linode / AWS etc?

I looked into AWS a few times, it seems so complicated I couldnt even choose which build to pick? Any suggestions? My SIP provider has a dedicated MPLS connection into AWS cloud for improved service performance, I have wanted to try an AWS FreePBX build but havent been able to figure out how to set that up so I have been using CyberLink FreePBX hosting as they had FreePBX image options, 3 clicks and the server was up. Would love to see any AWS instructions on setting up a FreePBX server step by step. I asked CyberLink several times to add MPLS into my rather Large SIP provider network but they didnt seem too interested, wanted me to build my own even after I explained it would benefit ALL their FreePBX clients.

If you need commercial modules then you have really one choice, the FreePBX distro.

But if you are building from scratch, I think you have some interesting options. While it’s not my preference due to the style of the OS, I would consider AWS Linux because Amazon optimizes it thoroughly for the AWS EC2 environment. If you need system level support from Amazon, they are going to be well-prepared to help on an AWS Linux install. Installing FreePBX on AWS Linux should be about the same as installing on CentOS which is documented in the wiki. The problems you’ll encounter will have to do with some software versions being different between CentOS and AWS Linux.

Personally I favor Debian 10 and have written a setup doc for it (also in the wiki).

Distro runs well on AWS, DigitalOcean, Azure, Linode, and Vultr in my experience setting it up for myself and associates.

If you are not going to make use of commercial modules, install centos and then the installation compiled via script.

Tip to Download and install FreePBX from the Brazil community.
yum install wget -y; wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ibinetwork/freepbx_install/master/freepbx14_centos7_install.sh | bash

I looked at Azure and AWS, but after contemplating the plus and minus or these services, I ended up going with PowerPBX.org. They handle all the OS and load up FreePBX, provide support and backups. Price was not much different than a ‘handle it all myself’ on Azure. A little more expensive than AWS, but the support has been well worth it (IMHO).

I only use the freepbx distro. What model do you choose from AWS, thats where I had all the questions, there are like 100 different choices.

the T3.size style instances are probably more than adequate for a PBX. A t3.medium can handle probably 100 extensions averaging 10 concurrent calls or more. A t3.small might even handle it assuming minimal use of web and phone apps. And if you just want to test, a t3.micro would do just fine.

t3 types require you to have Amazon’s networking drivers installed which you would not have with a Distro import.

t2.small or .medium would be my picks in light of that.

ok, thanks. I need to support 100+ extensions and 20+ simultaneous calls on most systems and a few at 300+ extensions with 50+ simultaneous calls. Suggestions?

That’s true on windows and older linux distributions, but the FreePBX 15 PBX based on “Sangoma Linux 7.5” or CentOS 7.5 should already include drivers for the:

00:05.0 Ethernet controller: Amazon.com, Inc. Elastic Network Adapter (ENA)

which should boot up successfully on a t3 instance as that is what I am running and this was imported from VMWare.

Interesting! Didn’t work for me. I’ll go back and revisit t3 vs. t2 at some point. Thanks for the confirmation that it should work.

For 20+ simultaneous calls I would start with a t3.medium (2 CPU / 4GB RAM) and only go up from there if you have any issues or have heavy use of transcoding, Zulu, UCP and Phone Apps. The instance 2 sizes up T3.xLarge should definitely handle it (4 CPU / 16GB RAM).

However, on AWS definitely make sure you leverage the security groups to filter incoming traffic from known locations. If you need to implement softphones or remote phones for home users, etc., make sure you set up TLS and SRTP and only open those ports and use extremely strong passwords on everything which FPBX does a good job of doing by default and many circumstances.

Well, unless I outsmarted myself somehow and used a t2 first, installed drivers and then converted it to a t3, which is possible, but I am not seeing that in my notes. If it doesn’t work out of the box, but apologies, but I am running mine on a T3 for sure. Just checked. :slight_smile:

I´ve managed to create a LXD container. Works pretty great.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.