Grouping hw- vs. sw-phones/extensions, only hw-phones/ext. should do international-calls

[email protected],

after 48h on/with freepbx-system, i can do lot of nice things, it works.

But …
How i do separate hw vs. sw-phones/extension in groups?

The idea is, that hw-phones should be able to do long-distance/international calls, on the other hand the sw-phones (the other group) not.

And how do i assign the dial-patterns/-plans to this different groups?

I could not find any option, the place to configure these groups within freepbx-gui with their different dialplans.

Or is there a way to configure this kind of separation directly in /etc/asterisk conf-files?

Any idea?
Thx. in advance.
ELindemann

If I understand correctly, you want to limit who can place international calls.

You can sure do it with multiple CID entries in your outbound international route, or play with a custom dialplan.

The easiest would be to use the commercial module Class of Service, which allows you to set which phones can access which routes.
So all you need to do, is setup a separate “International/Long Distance route” with the proper dial patterns and add the phones/extensions in the COS group.

… yepp, thats right.

Later in the night, i took the right keywords for google ;-), i found COS-Module too. Thnx.

I am new to asterisk/freepbx, a lot of experienced guys in this forum told me, its OK, that freepbx will do the job for me. They are right too.

But, i want a real slim asterisk on debian (with olny modules loaded, what the system needs). But, as you know there is no way to bundle commercial modules on other platforms.
It will work, what you told me, if i stay on freepbx-distri. Later, changing with whole functionalitay i build time being passed, i could not change/migrate, cause of commercial module/s.

I was reading a lot of dialplan in conf-files, wanted to do about the same way for an older asterisk (then i know, i unterstand what i am doing, not the freepbx-gui did for me), but right now there is a change to pjsip. Therefore i installed the freepbx-distri.

Therefore too, i am looking to setup a dialplan in conf-flies, that will not destroyed by freepbxgui later. Somehow it is possible to make changes to all this conf-files, and they will survive after using freepbxgui (core module, as i learned). There is a lot include conf-files with zero-bytes, probably there i could make some setup?

Any idea to setup the scenario above in conf-flies?

Thx in advance.
ELindemann

The only way the PBX is going to know if it is a softphone vs a hw phone extension is if you set something up to tell it that.

You can do what was suggested, which is make Outbound Routes that match patterns against specific CallerIDs to route the call out. But that basically means you either have to make every softphone in a specific extension range (as well the hw phones) so you can use pattern matching in the CallerID match. So 1XX would mean 100-199 is softphones so you can use that in the CallerID field with each pattern match entry.

Otherwise if the softphones and hw phones are going to be mixed in the extension range so 100-120 could be one or the other. You’re going to have to make a pattern match for each of them. If 8 of those extensions in the 100-120 range are hw phones and can dial international, then you need 8 pattern match entries that all have the international pattern match along with the individual callerid of those 8 extensions.

@ELindemann

Since you have been opening a handful of threads to deal with what seems to be each step of configuring your PBX for your needs, I’m going to give you some advice for this. Tell us what your end game is. What are you trying to fully achieve with this?

It can be as simple wish list outline because I’m going to tell you right now doing this in a piecemeal format is going to bite you in the ass down the road. If we help you resolve each issue as an individual issue, when in fact it is a piece in a larger picture, we could end up painting you into a corner at some point and require us to re-do a previously “resolved” issue because it’s needed to make the new issue work properly.

You have a manually installed PBX system that will be missing certain things that the Distro (that many, many, many people use) has so their assistance can be around something your system is unable to do. Which also means things like “You can use Class of Service for this” are out the window and will require a quite a bit of custom dialplan, config files, etc to get around the ability of not having Commercial modules at your fingertips.

In this type of scenario, knowing the bigger picture/goal means that someone can provide a more guided solution to achieve your goal. Having one thread that can attack this in an ordered fashion and keep a historical record is way better than having 15 threads that start to contradict each other and perhaps having people watching/active in some of those threads but not in others and missing details from those other threads that may be important to their conversion.

There is an open source module called “custom contexts” that can do what you are looking for.

@ BlazeStudios

… handful? You do have three fingers? I only opened three threads.
OK, i am kidding. :wink: Pls. do not try to educate me. :wink: The last person was my mother. :wink:

See what dicko wrote/told. One sentence and a keyword, custom contexts.
Thats enough for me as a launching pad.

Did you ever see how much threads were opened in this forum? About 38000.
The half-handful :slight_smile: mines disturbing you? Wow.
Sorry for your inconvenience.

@your questions
My goal is to have an asterisk (latest, greatest version) manually compilied on debian 8.x/9.x, without a freepbx-gui doing the job for me.
Does not matter how much people like to work with freepbx, probably the do love red, i love blue. And now?
Also i do not want to reinvent the wheel. I am satisfied to configure asterisk in conf-files. I do not like black-boxes, nor i do like any gui on servers too, no webservers too. ssh/flie-editing, thats (was) enough for me long time.

As i see, it is not an easy way with pjsip/trunks to get it work as i wanted. Somehow frustrating too. I could also take asterisk 1.8 (some old stuff), but you will yell, do not. Cause its old and unsecure, will not use it.

The voice himself sang, i did it my way. :wink:
It is my lifetime, spending, loosing it with asterisk, i am NOT claiming, that you has to do it the same way. I am sorry about your inconvenience.

I do not understand, what asterisk can not do, what freepbx can**?**
I thought, as dicko told yesterday, freepbx is a webgui for/on asterisk; in other words, freepbx is a slave, the master himself is asterisk. My conclusion is, asterisk could to the job without freepbx, sure.

That is, what i am looking for, but not in a huuuuuuuuuge functionalty for like a company like MS/Dell/IBM, nor do i want to be a voip-provider. Nothing of these. I think a lot of people uses NOT 90/100 of the functionality of asterisk. The fundamentals of a voip-srv/asterisks is for the beginning absolute OK for me; will/want reach this goal with editing conf-files. It may be not the easiest way, but it is mine.

thx
Peace/shalom/selam. :slight_smile:

You are a bit off here.
Asterisk is the actual PBX application.
FreePBX added a GUI to manage the Asterisk config.
Later on, FreePBX released distro’s with bunch of features and commercial modules for stable use, meaning, Asterisk and all modules were tested before being rolled into the stable repo’s. And yes, you can have the latest version of Asterisk on your PBX on the non stable repo.

But what it seems to us, that you can’t get the job done with FreePBX, so how do you plan on moving to Asterisk without a GUI?

I’m not sure how many users you’ll have on this PBX, but good luck with setting FollowMe and basic end user features, which can be done in UCP.

Again, don’t get me wrong:
There’s tons of people running Asterisk without FreePBX.
If you want to learn Asterisk and your goal is running Asterisk without FreePBX, then don’t learn something which is causing you issues and will only confuse you down the road.
FreePBX generates some files which if you modify it you’ll have red warnings and alarms, VS if you have your own Asterisk server you can modify it.
Bottom line, build an Asterisk server, and get your hands dirty.

No, i .do know that.
But Blazestudios said, that a manually installed asterisk were unable to do something, what freepbx can. But freepbx is NOT the server, asterisk doing this job. I already get it.
I did know asterisk before freepbx.

You are right, i cant. Therefore i would have a really slim-functionality asterisk. As i installed asterisk in debian, and did

make basic-pbx

i get a little a mount of conf files in contrast of freepbx. Building this platform up was my hope, ended in nope.

For a basic-pbx it should be enough. If i look, how the people uses the old system (hw-based phone system), we do not need this huge functionality, complexity of asterisk, because they will NEVER. EVER use the whole function freepbx brings with, not follow me, not an other function too. That is my exprienced with this people.

I did already, week ago. deb8.x + ast 13.21-cert2.

Propably i am absolutly wrong with asterisk; also the resistance, i got here in this forum is unrivaled irritating, except dicko.
Look, I was looking for a dialplan, hoping somebody did it already and could paste a litte form of a code; Here, you get it, do what you want, try to get in adjusted for you environment. I also have debug/syslog outputs, somehow i could have adjusted the conf-flies.

But no, in contrast, i get all time do not, do you know, what are you doing, you cant, you will fail, you are not an expert. Thx. :wink:
I am wrong here in this forum too, you have to be a well experienced guy. But why do i need then a forum? :wink: To be great against a newbie, nothing easier than that.
It is not disappointing me, that i hear all the time (as in the ancient time slaves told to emperor, they will die too ;-)), i will fail.

The best is propably a win32 3cx on a hw-pc on win7 or like that. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thx for your thoughts, kindness.

Personally I would surmise that @ELindemann has a very good grip on what he is attempting, if anything a little hampered by his delightful but idiomatic usage of English as a Language he has a good understanding of.

So, to @ELindemann, I suggest a minimal install of FreePBX on Debian following the wiki here, it would, strangely, only provide a minimal install with almost no modules included, you can add piecemeal as you want, as all are documented.

No you can’t have sysadmin or any other free but licence encumbered commercial modules but if you have the most basic linux skills, you won’t need any.

Go for it, it is folks like you that keep the whole open-source thing going you CAN have the best of both worlds!!

(Before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I personally have no animosity against the distro or disdain for it, it is a nice turn-key solution if it fits, for me and many others it just can’t for various reasons (there is a whole alternative distro out there that agree and have a whole ecosystem for raspberrys to anything but redhat ))

If this is a ‘new’ system (not replacing another PBX) and pretty small, just reserve a block of extension numbers e.g. 100-109 for the ‘privileged’ phones and put 10X in the CallerID field of the patterns for your international route. Couldn’t be much simpler.

But I don’t understand why you’re trying to do things in a way that most folks on this board would consider needlessly difficult.

Are you trying to build a phone system for your business? Learning to build phone systems for others? Something else?

@ELindemann, my commiserations for the treatment you got here , ignore the nay-sayers, your quest is perfectly within the goals of FreePBX stated mission, and your goals are easily attainable within that framework, the so claimed “most” here are maybe just the noisiest with a possibly limited/biased experience of how it actually can work.

Be strong, don’t feel bullied :slight_smile: keep on posting . . .

Hi dicko,

thx for your words, it is a little bit :wink: s_t_r_a_n_g_e here. I was never interessed in what others do. As i began reading rtfm, asterisk books, dokus about asterisk, i was fascinated about the power (beyond it is linux). Also a little bit :wink: afraid; a mistake in your context/dialplan and you will pay a lot of money for that mistake too.

Asterisk can make coffe?
Or drives the children to school? :wink:
How do i script this? :wink:

Somehow i always reached my goal. It did not matter, what other told me.

ELindemann

1 Like

Excellent

Now wait for the everything why you are wrong comments -:wink:

Coooool.

I think, it is easier to build a thin system, if something goes wrong, you will be able to find the error much, much easier then trusting a webgui.
Because we (a little company) need a simple set of functions and we are not big as IBM.

Do anybody of the others know, what happens behind the webgui? There are some guys here like dicko/blazestudios/andy, the do know. I am sure.
It is not the level i want to reach, but i am always looking for configuration on file-level, than clicking somehow, some functionality. Sure webgui is faster, the other way probably needlessly difficult. But there is a need, the need to understand, what i am doing.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.