GoogleVoice wont answer

I had to re install my PBX… Installed Distro FreePBX and updated to Asterisk 1.8.6.0.

I can call inbound to google voice and the call is routed to the PBX. The extension rings and I can answer it, but the calling party still has a ring, no answer.

Any ideas?

Are you by any chance “answering” the calls the second they hit your FreePBX box? Google Voice now requires a delay of a second or so before the call is answered (usually one second is sufficient), otherwise you can get exactly the effect you are describing. But usually you run into this problem when the call goes to an IVR, not an extension, unless you have taken some step to answer the call the instant it arrives on your system.

Here is the ext*conf: I added the extra Wait(1) but didnt make any difference.

[googlein]
exten => _[0-9a-z].,1,Noop(Incoming Google Voice call for ${EXTEN})
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),@,1)})
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,GotoIf($["${CALLERID(name):0:2}" != “+1”]?notrim)
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CALLERID(name):2})
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n(notrim),Set(CALLERID(number)=${CALLERID(name)})
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Wait(1)
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Answer
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Wait(2)
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,SendDTMF(1)
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Goto(from-trunk,gv-incoming-${CUT(EXTEN,@,1)},1)
exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)

and the tail of the log:

-- Executing [[email protected]:41] Set("Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25", "D_OPTIONS=trI") in new stack
-- Executing [[email protected]:42] Dial("Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25", "SIP/700,15,trI") in new stack

== Using SIP RTP TOS bits 184
== Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
– Called SIP/700
– Connected line update to Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25 prevented.
– SIP/700-00000000 is ringing
– Connected line update to Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25 prevented.
– SIP/700-00000000 answered Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25
> Saved useragent “PolycomSoundPointIP-SPIP_550-UA/3.0.1.0032” for peer 700
– Executing [[email protected]:1] Macro(“Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25”, “hangupcall,”) in new stack
– Executing [[email protected]:1] GotoIf(“Gtalk/+1777555XXXX-fc25”, “1?theend”) in new stack

You’re not by any chance mixing methods, are you? That context should NOT be used AT ALL if you are using the Google Voice module, and if you ARE using the Google Voice module, make sure you have the latest version, which is the one at

http://svn.freepbx.org/contributed_modules/release/googlevoice-0.5.0.tgz

If you are using this module be sure to REMOVE anything you did as a result of using an older method (anything you added to gtalk.conf or jabber.conf, the [googlein] and any [gvoice-username] contexts in extensions_custom.conf, any custom trunks you added, etc. - you may have to uninstall and reinstall the Google Voice module afterwards, so it will load the configuration files properly). IF you use it, let the Google Voice module alone manage everything. I’m going to assume that you are NOT using and have NEVER installed any version of the Google Voice module from here on out — if that’s not the case, what I’m about to suggest may not help.

Temporarily remove these lines from your existing [googlein] context:

Temporarily replace them with this single line:

exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Set(DIAL_OPTIONS=${DIAL_OPTIONS}aD(:1))

That line should appear in this position in the context (lines before and after shown):

exten => _[0-9a-z].,n(notrim),Set(CALLERID(number)=${CALLERID(name)})
exten => _[0-9a-z].,n,Goto(from-trunk,gv-incoming-${CUT(EXTEN,@,1)},1)

Make sure your inbound route sends the call directly to an extension, not a ring group or anything like that. Place a call to the Google Voice number and when the extension rings, let it ring one full ring and then answer it. If you are successful in answering and the audio goes though, then chances are it is the timing issue that’s affecting you, but if not it’s some other problem.

If the call was successful, try restoring your [googlein] context to the way it was (replace the lines below) except reverse the order of the waits, so the 2 second one comes first, as shown here. Don’t change your inbound route yet though:

Try another test call. If that one works, it’s almost certainly the timing issue. After that, you can try restoring your inbound route to the original destination (if you had to change it).

If the first test fails then I have no idea what’s causing your issue, but I might still suggest only as a last resort that you try removing any configurations you added to get Google Voice working and trying the Google Voice module (ONLY the version from the link above - do not use an older version!). And if that doesn’t work, then I really have no idea what’s causing your problem.

How about firewall? anything special I need to forward over and above the VOIP?

Note the word PREVENTED in the log, wonder if that has something to do with it?

== Using SIP RTP TOS bits 184
== Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5
– Called SIP/700
– Connected line update to Gtalk/+1775555XXXX-9957 prevented.
– SIP/700-00000000 is ringing
– Connected line update to Gtalk/+1775555XXXX-9957 prevented.
– SIP/700-00000000 answered Gtalk/+1775555XXXX-9957

I also tried the conf changes but the extension did not ring. The top section below is the one I was trying:

[xfrom-google]
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(num)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),@,1)})
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),/,1)})
exten => s,n,Goto(from-trunk,415ZZZYYYY,1)
exten => s,h,Hangup

[from-google]
exten => s,n,Wait(3)
exten => s,1,Answer()
exten => s,n,Wait(2)
exten => s,n,SendDTMF(1)
exten => s,n,Wait(1)
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(num)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),@,1)})
exten => s,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),/,1)})
exten => s,n,Goto(from-trunk,415XXXZZZZ,1)
exten => s,h,Hangup

Huh? Nooooo…

Why is it that all the lines in the context in your first post start with exten => _[0-9a-z]., and all the lines in your most recent post start with exten => s, EXCEPT for the one I asked you to add? That is not going to work.

Every so often someone comes along and you realize you are not going to be able to help them because you can’t hit a moving target, and they have done something that makes you want to leave a rude or insulting reply. Since I don’t want to do that, I am ending my attempt to help you with this as of now. Good luck and I hope you get it working.

I am trying every combination of examples I can find on the internet. Sorry I certainly didnt want to mess it up, and if I thought I had I wouldnt have done so. How about I wont change anything unless it comes from here in regards to the Google Voice. I am at the end of my rope trying things and havent a clue what else to do.

I sure would appreciate your help! SORRY!

Do you think it could be a firewall problem?

To answer your question: Are you allowing incoming traffic on UDP port 5222? If not, then it could be a firewall problem.

If you are truly frustrated, you may have reached the point where it would be easiest for you to do a new install of the FreePBX Distro, starting fresh. Do NOT save any of your old Google Voice configurations (of course I am not talking about your login credentials, what I mean is don’t save any of the related .conf files or anything you added to extensions_custom.conf to get Google Voice to work. If you decide to use the FreePBX Backup and Restore module, be careful that it does NOT back up your existing gtalk/jabber/jingle.conf files (you may have to delete those or move them to another directory BEFORE doing the backup), and delete any custom trunks, routes, etc. that you created specifically for Google Voice, and only THEN make a backup (and don’t forget to copy the backup to another machine).

Then reinstall the FreePBX distro, restore the FreePBX backup if you made one, or reconfigure all your normal extensions, routes, trunks, etc. Then install the only the latest Google Voice module from the link I posted above and use that to set up your Google Voice service. Do NOT use any Google Voice configurations you find on web sites (not even on mine). Let the Google Voice module do the work.

And if THAT doesn’t work, I don’t know what else to suggest. But the only reason I make that suggestion is because I want to stop you from playing around with configuration files and dialplans, because it’s rather obvious you are just trying any old thing out of frustration, and at this point I have no idea how badly you have messed things up. A full reinstall may seem drastic (and it is) but if you’re going to spend the next week trying to make this work and just getting more and more frustrated, maybe it would be better to get back to a known good state (a fresh install) and start over.

Maybe someone else will have a better suggestion, but that’s the best I can offer at this point. As I say, I can’t hit a moving target.