Gibberish CID info sent to Dish VIP722

I have a new SPA112 purchased to improve VoIP FAXING. Unit works great for faxing and for voice to analog phones and driving analog phone lines.

The ATA is driven from a late FREEPBX Distro install (all modules updated) and I after getting it working OK found gibberish data being sent to my Dish OSD. The Panasonic Analog Phones correctly indicate and “speak” the correct CID when ringing…

One output for CallerID is a Dish VIP722 DVR receiver. The handsets also connected to Analog output 1 also accurately show the callerID information… Apparently, long callerID strings (or improperly set display formats) sent to the TV DVR for OSD (on screen display) from the SPA112 cause the TV to lockup OR display gibberish… Sometimes, the TV needs to be hard-reset to clear a occasional lockup. This takes about 5 minutes each time.

The source of the lockup has been traced to the Cisco SPA112 ATA. I substituted a Grandstream HT702 ATA, which has a far shorter and less complete set of configuration settings, and noted the lockup and absent TV OSD issues are resolved. The problem is the FAXing is likely impaired using the GS ATA…

Does anyone else have or notice this problem and if so, what are the settings in the Cisco ATA to either parse and/or shorten and/or better format CallerID information sent to the FXS port to eliminate issues with a Dish DVR receiver’s OSD display?

Thanks for reading and for offering any helpful suggestions.

BTW, my Cisco ATA has the latest firmware upgrade… I am using OpenCNAM for callerID name lookup and have also used Superfecta. They both seem to be working fine from my PBX to their lookup database…

bobJ -alias clivusmul

I would suspect that your problem lies with your Dish device, callerID and CNAM is carried (splashed) by FSK signaling between the first and the second ring in NANP land, there are some original expectations that the number or the name will be less than or equal to16 characters and of a subset of strict ANSI, most modern devices can do that and more, I am suggesting that perhaps your device that dosn’t work is too strict in it’s interpretation, other less likely suspects are that your so called “Ringer Equivalance” has been exceeded , basically you have added too many parallel devices and the FSK is no longer within detectable levels by that device, but again if some work and some don’t then the finger points at the one that doesn’t. The last case is that the callerid(name) you are passing is huge and there is a buffer overrun that your Dish device chokes on, this was last observed in Asterisk 1.8.something.small and I don’t believe that is your problem.

Pretty well in all cases if only one devices misbehaves, then maybe ask the vendor of that device exactly what format is of CallerID, caller*ID+ or whatever they call it are to be expected and accepted.

Thank you for the kind and prompt reply. In the process of posting my forum item, I read one thread that suggested “CallerID Sources” module in FreePBX be disabled if another source like Superfecta was also present in the operating configuration. I had been using OPENCnam as a CID lookup source and had CallerID sources application enabled. I disabled “CallerID Sources” application and re-installed Superfecta to the latest version. After changing the Inbound Routes CID section to Superfecta and enabling the use Superfecta radio button, AND also making one change to the Cisco ATA in the Audio section, it now appears to work. I am uncertain at this time if it is working due to the new Superfecta version with “callerID sources” disabled OR if it relates to the “Block CID Serv” change to “no” that I also made. Whatever, it now seems to work perfectly. It is important to note that when the Dish DVR OSD was mis-behaving, the CID info being sent to the analog phones was always working fine; only the DVR OSD was made inoperative… Again, thanks for responding and sharing your expertise. BJ

Try adjusting the gain to lower the volume of audio sent from the FXS device (SPA112/HT702) to your Dish device. Likely, the volume is too loud. The Panasonic phones can handle it, but the Dish cannot.

Alternatively, try using an Obi 100 instead of the Grandstream. Audio quality is much better on the Obi…