Getting Caller ID Working [SOLVED]

Hey K.
No offence taken, not my game.
But my thought would be to configure it as a trunk
but then I, in all honesty, am not an expert
or one of those Very knowledgeable people I was mentioning.

Trunk / Extension
Potato / Hamburger

I would not have a clue.
But for the 5 mins it takes to set it up it is a worthy test.

Don’t give up there is always light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is the train.

(EDIT:)
it is like complaining that driving from the passenger seat is hard and the things need to be adjusted to suit. Anything is possible, but easier just sitting on the other side perhaps.

Hv.

It is configured both as a trunk and as an extension. The extension is used for inbound calls, the trunk for outbound.

But looking at the sip debugging it seems to be a bit more complex than that. I see some handshaking going back out the trunk on inbound calls.

There is your problem, The trunk should be configured to handle both in and out calls, that’s why its called a trunk, you use the inbound route to roiute by DID, you need to synthesize the DID from any ATA

1 Like

A trunk should be able to handle both in and out.
only if the HT device has an FXS port would you need to configure an extension.
But I have not seen one of these devices so do not know from 1st hand experience, just gut feeling.

Hv.

Hmm, then the wiki page is in error. It clearly shows the “Unconditional Call Forward” portion being sent to port 5060 which is the extension. Port 5062 is for the FXO and is what is configured on the trunk. Will experiment and report back.

Ahh, what he said.
Quicker fingers I’m guessing.

Hey Dicko, any thoughts on my Queues question. has me stumped.

Hv.

Well it does but that’s a whole other subject I haven’t touched. I have created extensions for those but haven’t started working with them.

That’s good, one step at a time always makes a better cake.

Hv.

Not unheard of.!

Hv.

SOLVED!

Hiddenvision, you were right. Pointing my HT-503 at the trunk allowed the Caller ID info to display. And thank you Dicko for your help.

So the long version. I was following the wiki page here:

Setting Up An HT-503

And these instructions do work. You end up with a functional system. But as the page says, caller id has not been addressed. The author has the user create an extension and then forward incoming calls - the Unconditional Call Forward step - to that extension. This works but your calls will be formatted as if they are internal calls. The Caller ID information is stripped and replaced with the extension information.

Instead, I deleted the two extensions I had created and pointed my HT-503s to the trunks that I setup. They were setup at port 5062 and interestingly I changed one HT503 to forward to port 6052 but forgot the other and it was still going to port 6050. Both still worked inbound. I think Asterisk was smart enough to match up the username that was setup as long as the unneeded extensions were removed.

I did not configure the “Inbound” portion of the trunk. They both still worked.

Side note, Your trunk needs to have its name set to the same number id string the HT-503 is sending as a user. This needs to be set in both the General page and the SIP Settings page.

Thank you everyone who gave input.

I have requested wiki access and plan on adding my knowledge to the wiki.

1 Like

Well done,
and great that you have advised of success.

It is a shame there is so much disjointed information out there.
Playing with this stuff is relatively easy but the lack of a solid reliable information resource is no doubt the downfall of any product. Commercial or open source.

But like they always say, Keep it simple and life will be easier.

Hv.

Wiki updated with my experiences:

Configuring a Grandstream HT-503

1 Like