Gabcast

Gabcast?

Like the idea. I have added the module, and dialed *422 (*GAB). I have also setup an account on www.gabcast.com.

That I get is a voice saying…

Welcome to Gabcast please enter your channel number, followed by the pound key.

Please enter your channel password, followed by the pound key.

How do I determine the channel number and channel password (the password for www.gabcast.com doesn’t work here…

go to “My Account” you will see your account info…

You can also create a exten on your server for auto login

add this line to you extension_custom.conf file
exten => XXX,1,Dial(IAX2/iax.gabcast.com/xxxx*xxx,120,tr)

use a exten number which is not used on your system

XXX =exten on your server
XXXX*XXX = your channel ID and password

nope, you are missing the point, somewhat…

i have an account on gabcast.

i have added the freepbx module. I assume that getting through to gabcast, I should be able to select particular gabcasts (or more to the point, tell people to dial in to listen to a particular gabcast.

so, if i go to gabcast, and lets see - here is a gab cast titled 'Amy’s Channel #3 - A Da Vinci Code Redux" if I look at the url it translates to, it comes up with cast=2946, so i assume that to be the channel number…

problem is where is the "channel password’. is this my password - i doubt, because it’s alphanumeric, and ergo hard to enter on a phone keypad, or is it something defined by the person who has loaded the cast…

If I understand that correctly, you can only use your phone (and thus your Asterisk/FreePBX) to PUBLISH audio to Gabcast. In order to do so, you not only need an account on www.gabcast.com, but you ALSO need to create a channel, at which point you will have both a Channel Number and a Channel Password (which ideally, in order to be able to dial it on a phone, should be numeric – don’t know whether the Gabcast website enforces this).

For listening to Gabcasts, you can use all sorts of things, but I find NO mention of listening by phone anywhere on the Gabcast site.

So, bottomline: go create not only an account, but then a channel within that account (click on the “create audio content” button once you’re logged in,
and then click on “create new channel”).

If you want folks to dail into your PBX then you can do that now without gabcast.

Create it on a pc…upload it using system records…create exten for it and bam…

Going back to the original question.

I have added the module, and dialed *422 (*GAB). I have also setup an account on www.gabcast.com.

How do I determine the channel number and channel password (the password for www.gabcast.com doesn’t work here…

So, if I can VOIP dial into gabcast (via *422) to listen to a gabcast of my choice, and it is solely intended to allow me to record, then why is asking for a password, and what password does it want)

I fully understand that I can locally host "a dialin “podcast like service”, but if this is what gabcast are trying to do, then it should at least work, be documented, or have a forum to discuss it…

q

It wants your password sir…the one you created
you are dailing in to RECORD not listen…you listen at the gabcast website or with RSS or podcast softwate Itunes…bah bah bah

Gabcast Configuration
This Gabcast Gabcast is a social broadcasting platform that offers virtual communities, individuals, and organizations an easy way to create and distribute audio content.

Visit www.gabcast.com for more info. module allows you to:
Link extensions to Gabcast channels. It creates a feature code (which defaults to *422 “gab” - you can change this in Feature Code Admin) which allows you to log directly into your Gabcast account. This is ideal for personal podcasting!
Define a Gabcast channel as a Destination for other modules. For example, you can direct a DID or IVR menu option directly to Gabcast. This is ideal for group and public podcasting

[quote=“misterq”]Going back to the original question.

I have added the module, and dialed *422 (*GAB). I have also setup an account on www.gabcast.com.

So, if I can VOIP dial into gabcast (via *422) to listen to a gabcast of my choice, and it is solely intended to allow me to record, then why is asking for a password, and what password does it want)

I fully understand that I can locally host "a dialin “podcast like service”, but if this is what gabcast are trying to do, then it should at least work, be documented, or have a forum to discuss it…

q[/quote]

It is asking you for the channel number that YOU created on Gabcast.com. It is asking you for the password that YOU assigned that channel. You are only calling in to record a podcast for your own channel. You cannot listen to a channel via asterisk/your phone.

Alex