g719

Just filling blanks in the grid, this is a academic task of my own. Before I move on want to ask if the source or binary for this codec is available for asterisk. Reading and googling it would appear support is just pass through and code for transcoding is not in the public domain.

Picture of test grid now :

G.719 is licensed by Polycom, Inc. and by Ericsson; both licenses are necessary for use. Polycom licensees also receive the right to use G.722.1 (Siren7, Polycom’s 7 kHz codec), and G.722.1 Annex C (Siren14, the 14 kHz equivalent).

Yes that is important but would be a waste of time and postage if the code is not available. I would be interested in keeping both Polycom and Ericsson happy but no need to ask for a license if I need to write the codec code for asterisk.

If you Google around there is an Open g.729 channel driver. This driver, in theory violates the IP of whomever owns g.729 rights. A long time ago I had my attorney do a Westlaw search on the subject and could not find any case law.

All the phone manufacturers take care of the licensing themselves.

Yes the act of becoming a licensee does support their claim. But it also makes it easy for them to check to see if you are living up to their agreement with you. A look at the music industry and movie industry provides a good example of winning in court but losing with your customers. I have no problem with companies protecting their property but as a shareholder I do have a problem with winning a count case that has no chance for momentary recovery but makes the news with more bad PR.

Polycom and Ericsson are asking that we license their codec for “free” but would appear to want to retain ownership / control. The lack of case law may just indicate the property is not worth stealing by anyone that momentary recovery is possible. I could be wrong and the lack of activity/news may indicate a weak claim, that is they don’t want to lose a court case that has implications for patent claims that do produce income.

Sorry this is so far off topic but does point out the open source but private property exception. Trade secret source and patent protection would appear to be the rule. Law will always lag technology it is designed that way.