Fxotune doesn't put best settings into fxotune.conf

When FreePBX reboots, I have horrible echo. I can run fxotune and then it is great until next boot.
When I run fxotune, I get lines like this in the output
Done!
Found best echo coefficients: 1=9,0,251,252,2,255,0,0,0

/etc/fxotune.conf shows a new modification time, but does NOT have the above settings in the file, it has

1=6,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0

instead. I have manually put in the data from the fxotune run, but I wonder why fxotune does not write these numbers into the /etc/fxotune.conf file?

Jon

It should so write

man fxotune

youi need to fxotune -s on startup to get them restored

if for some reason (possibly FreePBX permissions), then feel free to edit that file directly. You only need to do it once.

Well, /etc/fxotune.conf is owned by root, and shows rw permissions, and the modified date shows it WAS written by fxotune. But, the values in the file are NOT the same as were written out when I ran fxotune. I have now manually edited the settings into the file, and whenever we reboot FreePBX, I’ll find out if that fixed it. Probably will never have to touch it again, IF that does fix the problem.

Thanks,

Jon

“never” is a long time. If you have bad copper to the dmarc in either direction or degrading lines this will be a continued issue. I would evaluate your wiring. It is unlikely your provider will care as it will work fine for their standards. If you have above ground wiring outside it is likely a new drop would help if you can make it happen.

Well, until there was a power failure the settings had been working for a long time. And, there’s NOTHING I can do about the telco’s crummy cable plant! But, their techs have told me that that is a major problem in our area.
The cable between the FXO and the demarc is fine, but there is big trouble on their side. We had a new buried drop installed a few years ago when it got pinholes in it from lightning. I can’t tell where the ground is, but they can with their cable meter.

Anyway, I think I now know the procedure to get these settings into the file, so next time it needs adjusting, I know how to do it.

Thanks,

Jon

just always fxotune -l when necessary, and makje sure fxotune -s is run on startup. just

man fxotune

for how it all works.

OK, not clear whether something is running fxotune -s when the system boots. Is there a way to find it in the logs to show that fxotune -s was run?

If I need to add fxotune -s to the startup scripts, where should it be? I have scanned over the scripts and do NOT see fxotune being run anywhere, but I could have EASILY missed it! Any suggestions where to look?

(I’m guessing /etc/init.d and /etc/rcx.d directories…)

Thanks,

Jon

generally in /etc/rc.local

OK, not there now, so I will put the fxtune -s in there.

Thanks,

Jon