Fwconsole restart "Asterisk is still running and we can't stop it!"

I’m on a fully updated distro system. I just upgraded to asterisk 18.1.0. When I booted up I noticed an error flame in the dashboard saying “unable to find asterisk results”. I checked and running “core show uptime” wouldn’t produce any results. In fact, I was also getting the same asterisk results problem in asterisk 16 just prior to upgrading. I decided to try an fwconsole restart, but got the “asterisk is still running” error. However, asterisk had been killed. So I tried fwconsole start. This time, things seemed to come up properly and “core show uptime” started working again. I noticed that the “still running” error was logged almost immediately after “killing asterisk forcefully”, almost as if there was no 2 second wait mentioned here.

I wanted to see if this would happen again, so I rebooted the server and it came up with the same “unable to find results” error. Core show version returns:
Asterisk 18.1.0 built by mockbuild @ jenkins7 on a x86_64 running Linux on 2020-12-16 16:04:19 UTC
but “core show uptime” returns nothing. I did the fwconsole restart, hit the same “unable to kill asterisk” error. ran “fwconsole start”, and things came up properly, “core show uptime” working properly.

It’s not a huge deal, because on a reboot, asterisk still works, it just shows the error on the dashboard. But it is annoying to have to run fwconsole start after running fwconsole restart.

My understanding that as yet, FreePBX does not recognize Asterisk 18 as a supported version by default. (That doesn’t mean it doesn’t work)

Edit: understanding updated :wink:

FWIW…

I’ve been running FreePBX + Asterisk 18 since Asterisk 18 was in beta and haven’t experienced anything unusual with Asterisk or FreePBX. fwconsole stop/start/restart work as expected and there’s no warnings in Dashboard. This is under both 32- and 64-bit Debian Buster.

Resolved recently, but I don’t have the specific framework version at hand. I can confirm that Asterisk 18 is supported with version 15.0.17.6.

1 Like

AFAICT, framework version 15.0.17.6 still does not support Asterisk 18:

root@FreePBX:~# fwconsole ma downloadinstall framework --tag 15.0.17.6
No repos specified, using: [standard,extended] from last GUI settings

Starting module download from https://mirror.freepbx.org/modules/packages/framework/framework-15.0.17.6.tgz.gpg
Processing
Downloading…
16086017/16086017 [============================] 100%
Finished downloading
Extracting…Done
Module https://mirror.freepbx.org/modules/packages/framework/framework-15.0.17.6.tgz.gpg successfully downloaded
Updating tables admin, ampusers, cronmanager, featurecodes, freepbx_log, freepbx_settings, globals, module_xml, modules, notifications, cron_jobs…Done
PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function writeln() on string in /var/www/html/admin/modules/framework/install.php on line 38
Whoops\Exception\ErrorException: Call to a member function writeln() on string in file /var/www/html/admin/modules/framework/install.php on line 38
Stack trace:

1. Whoops\Exception\ErrorException->() /var/www/html/admin/modules/framework/install.php:38

/var/www/html/admin/modules/framework/install.php:

36: $engine_info = engine_getinfo();
37: if (version_compare($engine_info['version'], "13", "lt") || version_compare($engine_info['version'], "18", "ge")) {
38:         $output->writeln("<error>Error!</error>");
39:         $output->writeln("<error>Unsupported Version of ". $matches[1]."</error>");
40:         $output->writeln("<error>Supported Asterisk versions: 13, 14, 15, 16, 17</error>");

framework version 15.0.17.6 still checks for versions greater than or equal to 18 and throws an error.

It’s necessary to do some patching to run Asterisk 18 with framework version 15.0.17.6.

1 Like

The framework version 15.0.17.7 that was just released fixes the Asterisk 18 compatibility problem described in my previous post.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.