Full system crash around once a week

Hi. I installed FreePBX distro 10.13.66 and I am currently using FreePBX 13.0.190.19 and Asterisk 13.7.2.

I have been experiencing random system crashes, around once a week. Not just a crash to Asterisk but the entire system becomes unresponsive. All phones go offline so outgoing calls can’t be made, incoming calls fail, I can’t connect to the GUI or via remote CLI, as I can’t even ping the server. Nor can I access the CLI on the server itself as the screen remains black and unresponsive. The only fix is to physically power the computer off and back on.

It doesn’t seem to be triggered by any particular action as it will still happen when no calls are in progress.

I’m suspecting maybe an OS or hardware issue may be to blame here, but I’m not sure how to diagnose. Can anyone offer any advice at all please?

Thanks in advance.

Move the HDD to a temporary alternate box and test for two weeks.

Agreed - Sound like a hardware problem to me - Look here:

on how to fix the NIC changing when you move the HD’s to a new box.

Install sysstat, sar will then give you postmortem diags

Just to follow this up, I believe that it was an overheating issue. I’ve improved cooling and haven’t had any further problems since.

Overheating will do it - tiny box?

Just a standard upright desktop PC.

Very weird. Glad you found it though - I really haven’t had problems with Heat since the Pentium-4E Editions - those things overheated all the time.

I fixed one of those this weekend. It was a 2U case and the power supply fan was set up to blow out through the solid top :frowning: Replaced the PS with one with a fan on the back and plugged in the rest of the case fans (and replaced the bad two) and now suddenly the server just works…

Good help can be hard to find.