Freepbx16 on debian11 user...sh: 1: runuser: not found

You all need to understand I followed the How to Install FreePBX 16 on Debian 11 with Asterisk 16 - FreePBX Documentation - Documentation and had the same error. there is something wrong in the install that is not compatible with debian 11. The runuser was a small issue but mainly it does not recognize or I am missing something. i have make configure am i to make samples? i never usually do that over the years. i am not able to find much on debian 11 beyond the UPC node part thats unnecessary.

We can talk about the differences in su. I know in the past I had trouble with the odd command in installing freepbx or parts with out a sudo in front. Maybe i will delete this Virtual machine and start again with a fresh debian 11 install and use sudo infront of every command listed above . (I posted to see if anyone here could see something I was missing)

I can assure you that installing Asterisk on Debian Bullseye as root, .

git cloneing

(but wget should be fine)

contrib/scripts/install_prereq
./configure
make makemenu
make
make install

then starting ‘asterisk -vvvc’ to test works just as advertised for me.

Adding freepbx mysql odbc and FreePBX also a cake walk.

I’m wondering if you misunderstood what I was saying about su. I’m not talking about su issued as root, but about su as a way of becoming root. If you log in as myself, and then type “su” and enter the root password, you will have an environment in which runuser will not be found, because PATH will by myself’s PATH, not root’s. On the other hand, if you do “su -”, you should get the shell to set up root’s standard environment, and a path that contains /user/sbin, assuming that your version of Debian hasn’t been set up to make it impossible to start a login shell for root.

From the man page, and its presence in /sbin, runuser is only intended to be run by root. If you start an install script after su’ing to root, and it tries to use runuser, you can expect it to fail,

If you follow that guide, then asterisk is installed from packages and sample configs are installed as well. There are steps to move the sample configs aside except for a few important files (for example, asterisk.conf) and also disabling the systemd startup for asterisk in favor of using FreePBX systemd startup to do it.

Try it by sticking to the guide and when you reach a step that does not work please post back here so that we can look at it.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.