FreePBX with external Asterisk server

Hi!

I’m trying to figure out how to make a FreePBX setup with an external Asterisk server. So the FreePBX is on a webfrontend server only running LAMP installation and an asterisk server running the asterisk service.
Is this possible? If yes, how is it done?

Thanks in advance!

FreePBX connects via the Asterisk manager interface and config files, so it should work fine. You will need to rsync the Asterisk configs.

Look at the FreePBX config and you will see you supply the IP address of the Asterisk server.

Like any other possible but unsupported configuration try it and then fix the errors (one at a time). I am sure there will be 100 details to attend to.

Thanks for your answer. I’ll look into it, and see if I can figure it out. :slight_smile:
The rsync idea is good, I was thinking about maybe using NFS to mount the share locally, and then write direct to it, but I’m not shure if that would work.

Certainly feel free to ask questions as you get into it. There just is no easy “how to” guide on a project like this.

What is the reason for doing this? FreePBX doesn’t add any measurable overhead to the server.

Well my company has a trixbox installation up and running right now, with a couple of hundred users. It’s also used as IVR for some callcenters. I can see the load on the server rises alot when these IVR’s are busy. So therefore I would like to seperate some of the servers tasks, for example the SQL.

Is the rise in the server load severely impacting system performance?

Wouldn’t it be easier and perhaps less time consuming to just get a more powerful server?