FreePBX on Ubuntu iso like Trixbox

I would like to know if anyone knows how I can get FreePBX on a ISO with Ubuntu instead of CentOS.

I have installed Trixbox before and it worked fine but now that Ubuntu is available I would prefer to use it since Ubuntu used graphic interfaces for everything and the last tiem I used CentOS it required many command line instructions which I am not too familiar with.

Trixbox has also limited some of its features on the CE or free version so I want to download an ISO and automatically install Ubuntu operating system with the automatic install of FreePBX.

I have some Grandstream phones and would like build a system to install the software and would also like to know if there are any recommended hardware and configurations.

Thanks

geego, running Asterisk on Ubuntu can be done…

I think it is a lot more trouble than it is worth…

Try WebMin. You may find that it grants you GUI access to some of the things you need.

If you want to get good with Asterisk, you are going to need to get comfortable with the CLI. Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS or whatever…

My problem is that trixbox free version has eliminated some features from FreePBX.

Do you know or another full inatallation ISO like Trixbox that is fully open?

Also, which ones do you prefer?

I really want to setup a system so any help and suggestions are appreciated.

What features are you specifically looking for?

PBX in a Flash installs CentOS, Asterisk, and FreePBX along with scripts and such to get you going.

did not know that PBX in a flash does that.
I wanted to check call recordings from the internet and a couple other functions.

Do you know how PBX in a flash it compares with Trixbox CE?

geego you asked Do you know how PBX in a flash it compares with Trixbox CE?

Well I changed from Trix to pbiaf for all my installs its a lot better package overall and seems to offer all the things trix can do and even more with the custom scripts they have created. At least you can update pbiaf without breaking it. I was not ever able to do it in Trix broke something every time. I like the fact that it uses FreePBX in its original form and not changed also I like that the install compliles asterisk on the computer its installed on. Give it a try I think you will like it very much. I could keep going but you get the idea.

jwells, so it installs just like trixbox and has all the add on modules like Trixbox and in your opinion it is more stable?
Does it come with all drivers to work with Grandstream phones?

geego pbiaf uses the lastest FreePBX so it has all the modules that FreePBX supports you can install any of them you want. I use polycom but it does have the setup-grandstream command to setup the tftp files. I ran it and it setups grandstream_GPX2000 and HT386_default files. If you have yours from a Trix install you can move those over as well. The only thing that pbiaf does not have is the endpoint manager that trix wrote but I never found that it did that much since I use ftp to provision the polycom’s and not tftp. FreePBX is going to have an enpoint manager I think when ver 3.0 comes out as well. I have not seen any stability issues with either distro nor Asterisk itself.

PBXiaf also does not have the GUI tools to setup the network and DHCP that trixbox has. I recommend that whatever distro you use that you learn to do the sysadmin stuff the proper way directly in CentOS that way your skills are not distribution specific.

Some folks like the trix CDR tool also.

To me a distribution is a start not an end in itself. Certainly I can’t stand the ‘forked’ FreePBX.

If you like the trix tools, I always recommend installing 2.6.07 (the last version since the fork), the update to FreePBX 2.5.

SkykingOH, so I can use Webmin to setup the dhcp?
I am very new and inexperienced with this but when I installed Trixbox sometime ago, I found that FreePBX got an update and Trixbox did not get the new update and I was told then that if I tried to install FreePBX by itself that Trixbox would break, seems like it would ahve some issues if you did not update it using Trixbox upgrade.

I want to set up a small system and test it for a while and then build a bigger mose stable system with big memory and hard drive and processor.

Do you have a motherboard/processor/memory configuration that is a recommended ideal system?
Aklso, there is a clone of the digium (I think the model is) TDM 400 card that comes out of china with 8 ports. It is available in FXO and FXS and they claim it is identical to the digium but cost half the price. I want to use my existing analog lines with my VOIP lines so please give me your recommendatiosn on that.

Why can’t you simply setup dhcp using the configuration file? It is simple and guaranteed to work.

You need to learn basic Linux sysadmin.

FreePBX uses it’s own update mechanism which is independent of the distribution.

The clone card probably would work OK however I would at least use an OpenVox so you can get some support.

I may get flamed for this but as far as a system I have installed the platform on everything from old junkers to dual xeon servers. They all have worked fine. My office server is an older HP dual xeon workstation. My home system is a very old IBM PIII server that is a retired Cisco Call Manager.

As someone else pointed out Linux and Asterisk don’t have any stability problems.

For those that are in to virtualization, there is an Ubuntu-based OpenVZ template for PBX in a Flash that is available from our download repo: http://proxmox.pbxinaflash.com/

and use the OS for the distribution.

For example: my preferred OS is NetBSD. Asterisk is available on it, and I could probably get FreePBX and the rest of the supporting software to install and work. I could also probably invent a cure for the common cold is less time.

I use Ward’s PBX In A Flash for all of my phone installs. It works, it does what I need it to do, it has some packages that make my life simpler (I have an update to one of them for you, Ward). It uses CentOS, and therefore so do I. Even though I’m incredibly comfortable with NetBSD, I still find that using CentOS for this is a better choice than trying to force fit something that no one else is going to help me with.