FreePBX Offers SIP Service

multitel,

1847 is not toll free, the current toll free numbers in the NPA are 800, 888, 877 and 866; 855, 844, 833, 822, 880, 881, 882, 883, 884, 885, 886, 887 and 889 are reserved for future use.

We have not rolled out toll free numbers yet which is why you can’t find them when you search. That is coming shortly after we ramp up the Unlimited Trunk service. Stay tuned, we’ll let you know pricing then; it will be attractive!

Do you offer canadian phone numbers? It look like from the quick search I did in your store was US numbers? As for toll free, how do I look up these?

hosdes,
at this time we only offer US numbers and service. As far as toll free numbers, see my comment above a few posts. We have not yet rolled out the toll free numbers, they are coming shortly.

I have been debugging some odd issues that have highlighted problems with Asterisk and how it handles SRV records. It should be taking the highest priority only but appears to randomly be grabbing either of the two.

This can result in incoming calls failing for one of a couple reasons. I have modified the FreePBX Configuration Instructions but the crux of the change is that you should be using trunk.freepbx.com as your configuration and registration server.

Is the DID service working? I added two DID’s but when I dial them I get a “number not in service” error. The error is not an asterisk recording and the inbound calls never make it to my server.

vanwiekt,

check your configuraion against the instructions at http://freepbx.org/freepbx-trunks.

Most likely you have registered with trunk.freepbx.com and not trunk1.freepbx.com. Asterisk has issues with SRV records and is not resolving correctly, making it go to trunk2.freepbx.com sometimes.

If that happens, you will show as registered however currently that is not supported (registering on trunk2) and this will result in the service not knowing how to find you and this error. It can also result in inbound call problems if you have that for your peer settings since here won’t be a context to match up with for the inbound calls which come from trunk1, unless you have Anonymous SIP calls enabled.

This will be changed shortly on our end when we replicate the registration database across both servers. However, the latter issue will still be a problem though I will provide instructions on how to resolve it once we do the replication. In any event, using trunk1.freepbx.com for both peer and registration settings should allow all services to work.

p_lindheimer,

Thanks, turns out I had a brain lapse and had set username:[email protected] instead of username:[email protected]. That’s what I get for working on stuff with three hours of sleep.

As for DID’s I was only able to find one DID that was local to this asterisk systems location, and it was one town over. I was unable to find any DID for Gainesville, FL (352) or Alachua, FL (386). There were plenty of numbers in those area codes put none are a local call. Is this just a limitation on the web interface or do you truly have no DID’s for those two cites.

Thanks.

vanwiekt,
glad you got it working. I will pass on your comments wrt to DIDs. It may simply be that they need to be back filled as it is possible for inventory in different markets to get depleted.

I appreciate it. I would like to purchase multiple DID’s but I need to have local DID’s for this office.

Thanks again.

This looks great. I’ve been considering cutting the cord to POTS.

One thing that would make this better for me is the ability to have two different kinds of trunks. I’d like an unlimited trunk for my main one.

There are times, however, that I may be on the phone and I’d like the second call to come through so that I can either put the first call on hold or have it go to voicemail (on Asterisk). Also, there are rare times that I may be on the phone and my wife needs to make a call. Again, this is rare.

What I’d like is to have a second trunk that is not unlimited. How about a second trunk for $5 a month with 500 minutes included and a per-minute fee after that (capped at $25, of course, where you might as well have an unlimited trunk).

Truthfully, I’d almost never touch the second trunk. I’d like to know it’s there, though, and I’m not going to spend an extra $25 a month for it.

Thanks,
Jamie

Jamie,

your suggestions are appreciated and understandable. We are working to make sure that you can have a home system similar to what you are describing such that you do not need to have 2 trunks as a home user for the type of scenarios you require.

For now, you can get a single trunk and you will find your inbound calls will still make it in even when you are on the outbound trunk (or another inbound call). Going forward we are looking at good solutions to solve your occasional second outbound trunk desire as well.

Can I make use of the DID only without subscribing to any trunk? I just care to add different local numbers to my VoIP.

Thanks,

Kenny

We don’t plan on having a DID only option right away though are looking at it, but would probably be more than just $1/mo for just a DID an no trunks.

What is the world unlimited trunks mean? Does it mean unlimtied channels?

I have 4 channels with voicepulse.com asterisk service with 1 DID that includes caller ID name lookup for $11 per month.

Are you saying then I could move my other 3 numbers from vitelity.com $3.98 Nerdvittles special 2 channel per did service for a total of 4 dids X $1 =$4+$24.98= $28.98 and have more than the 10 channels of service I have now?

Or would the same thing be 24.98 per channel which would then cost me hundreds of dollars? 24.98X 10 249.80+$4 =253.5

kieranmullen3,

The service will be competitive with other quality services as we role it out. Quality service means we focus on high quality termination so that the service is rock solid. You don’t get that everywhere.

We are also looking into other bundle variations as we get feedback.

The goal, in the end, is to have super service with desirable features (which will grow over time) for a very fair price. It’s a win for customers looking for reliable products and has the added benefit of supporting the product.

What is out now is the tip of the iceberg, but we are approaching it conservatively just like we do the further development of FreePBX. Our community has learned to trust and expect high quality out of this project and anything that associates its name with it. We plan on reinforcing that well earned reputation!

BTW, the store does not seem to work on Safari 4 on a Mac… I was unable to pick DID numbers - works ok on Firefox.

Schwark,
the feedback is very much appreciated. Can you provide some specifics? I just went to the store, on my Mac Book and was able to add some DIDs to my cart and proceed to the checkout.

Safari Version 3.2.3 (5525.28.3)
Mac OS Version 10.5.7

…to the number of SIP trunks I can purchase/keep in my account at one time? I could see our business using 50 to 100 in a year from now, and maybe 100 to 150 DID trunks.

Do we have control over the outbound caller ID? I currently have three bandwidth.com trunks, and this is much more attractive pricing as we grow our VoIP business.

Thanks,

You can have as many trunks and as many DIDs as you want in the account. And you can set the CID to any of the DIDs or anything else so that CF/Follow-Me type services can re-transmit the incoming CID.

The only current limitation is that a single account is limited to a single location at this time, from an E911 perspective.

Keep in mind that this is a retail based service, it is not targeted at wholesale usage.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe this service, referred to as a business service in the agreement, is one of the few that can take care of listing your name/company with the local ILEC’s directory assistance database. Other VoIP providers I’ve contacted do not do this. Normally you have to deal with some outfit further up the food chain such as Level3 in order to keep a small business’s white pages listing current once you go to VoIP.