FreePBX DPMA upgrade

So wihen new DPMA versions come out, do we have to manually download and install, or is there a GUI update method in FreePBX?

Due to DPMA being a part of Asterisk (even though it’s supplied as a separate module), it’s not possible to update it from the web gui. It has to be updated from the root command line shell prompt, the same way that Asterisk is updated.

If you use “yum update” to bring all the software up to date, DPMA will be updated as well. This will usually be somewhat behind the current DPMA version release however. If you need a newer version that what is available in the yum repo, manually updating from from the tarball supplied by Digium will be necessary.

As an example, with FreePBX 13 the current version of DPMA installed from the yum repo is 3.2.0, which is actually very recent (3.3.0-rc1 is only just been released).

So it is ok when a new version of DPMA comes out to just console into FreePBX, download the latest tarball of DPMA and extract it, do a fwconsole stop, copy over the “.so” files to the modules folder, and do an fwconsole start? I didn’t know if FreePBX setting deeded to jive with certain versions of DPMA of if I would be breaking something.

No. Skipping the RPM to download the so file manually will most likely crash asterisk. Especially since you don’t know if our asterisks use bundled pjsip or not. We will keep the RPM reasonably up to date. If not just ping us.

That’s a good point – if you are just wanting to be on the latest version but don’t need a specific new feature in DPMA, then stick with the RPM packages available through the yum repo. That way you’re getting something that’s already been tested and is the correct match for the version of Asterisk.

Otherwise your process is correct (update the .so modules while Asterisk is not running) but there is still then the question of locating which is the correct DPMA package. In addition to a package for each version of Asterisk, there is now a separate set of packages supporting the PJSIP BUNDLED mode. The differences are subtle and using the wrong one will cause unexplained malfunctions or crashes.

I tried to see if there was an updated version of DPMA on the repo, but 2.1.1-1 is pretty old I think.

Package asterisk11-res_digium_phone-2.1.1-1.shmz65.1.36.x86_64 already installed and latest version Nothing to do

[root@asterisk upgradescripts]# cat /etc/schmooze/pbx-version
10.13.66-19

I looked at the digium download folder: Index of /pub/telephony/res_digium_phone/asterisk-11.0/x86-64/

It seems that 3.4.1 is the newest DPMA version with several between 2.1.1.

I am trying to resolve an issue with a digium phone status that says it is available when it is really in DND according to asterisk. I wanted to try and see if the updated version of DPMA would help. How can I update DPMA?

Thank you.

-N

You need to be on Asterisk 13 for 3.2.0

1 Like

Any news on updating DPMA for FreePBX for use with the new D80 phones?

Does anyone know how to check what version of DPMA is installed? I’ve looked on the Admin>Digium Addons page and it doesn’t give me a version number. I THINK the latest version I can install is res_digium_phone-13.0_current-x86_64 but I’m not sure.
I’m trying to resolve a weird problem where I’m not at all sure DPMA is happy following installation (then removal) of EPM.

From the Asterisk console:

> digium_phones show version
Digium Phone Module for Asterisk Version 18.0_3.6.3-rc1

Digium Phone Module for Asterisk Version 13.0_3.5.3

Thanks Lorne

Looks like I’m a few major versions behind! I wonder if there have been fixes implemented for the log spam with BLF subscriptions…!

I’m removing the Asternic module because it uses files which are owned by root instead of asterisk and that will prevent me upgrading FreePBX.

Review this thread, particularly the second post

Thanks Lorne - totally missed that announcement - was it emailed? Anyway seen it now and doing a yum update as we speak, and I just plucked up the courage and upgraded to FreePBX 15 - went smoothly! Just had to delete Asternic to make it possible.

hmmm, just done a yum update and it hasn’t updated DPMA - it still says
Digium Phone Module for Asterisk Version 13.0_3.5.3
It downloaded and installed 627 updates so it’s not like there wasn’t a load to update! :smiley:

You can verify the package you have installed with:

yum list asterisk13-res_digium_phone

After updating the rpm, you must restart asterisk.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Upgrading DPMA for Asterisk 11