FreePBX Distro Upgrade for FreePBX GUI 2.10

JUST as I was posting this to ask about any issues with SipStation under 2.10, an upgrade appeared as 2.10.0.1 which has fixed the problem.

Thanks to whoever fixed that so quickly.

Mark

Ya we fixed it just a bit ago as someone had reported in a support ticket it was not working.

I a number of PIAF systems I am going to try to move. Any advice on this before I get going?

What do you mean by move???

Sorry that was poor wording. Though some I will actually be moving to the FPBX distro, I can handle that. What I’m asking is about those that I’m not, and will be upgrading just FreePBX from 2.9 to 2.10.

Well the upgrading 2.9 to 2.10 on PBXiaF is not something that should be asked in this thread since this thread was about a upgrade script for the FreePBX Distro to Centos 5.7 including FreePBX 2.10.

I would start a thread asking about 2.10 or searching all the threads that talk about 2.10 already but asking in this thread wont get much response on that part.

Just trying to help you get valuable feedback related to what you need.

I’ll start a new thread. I have done all the searching both here and on PIAF’s forum that I could think of.

Hi,

Been having a lot of issues on upgrading. None of the update.sh scripts worked correctly for me.

So I tried a lot of different scenarios. This was the best result so far…

• Updated using the module admin GUI tool.
  • Manually had to put a version number in the freepbxdistro-version and had set it to 1.88.210.57 -> so I could run the update.sh
  • ran update.sh (ver. 1.88.210.57-1) -> lot’s of errors which I solved executing following steps…
  • reboot for new kernel
  • Had to ;-comment the ZendOptimizer for PHP because of the new Zendguard
  • Had to touch the log-file in /var/log/pbx/upgrade/1.88.210.57-1 since /var/log/pbx/upgrade did not exist
  • install posix (yum install php-posix)
  • ran update.sh (ver. 1.88.210.57-1) again
  • upgraded modules using /var/lib/asterisk/bin/module_admin
  • ran update.sh (ver. 1.88.210.57-1) again

Current symptoms:

• Web interface not working (http://xxxx/admin), shows empty page.
  • output module_admin = sysadmin 2.9.0.19 Disabled; Pending upgrade to 2.10.0.16
  • SIP phones are working
  • outbound sip trunks online
  • PHP 5.3.3 (cli) (built: Nov 22 2011 20:43:05)
    Copyright © 1997-2010 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.3.0, Copyright © 1998-2010 Zend Technologies
    with Zend Guard Loader v3.3, Copyright © 1998-2010, by Zend Technologies

I originally tried updating a VM with FreePBX Base 2.9.0 - running the necessary update.sh scripts to upgrade my distro did not work -> way too many errors and failures. That’s why I tried all of the above.

I have disks snapshots setup from VM FreePBX Base 2.9.0 - And also a snapshot from the same machine with only the upgrade applied by the module admin upgrade 2.10 tool (but this doesn’t work since it misses PHP 5.4)

What would be the best way to proceed? :s

What you are posting here tells me you were not using the FreePBX Distro but some other Distro with FreePBX GUI since the Distro sets up the version file and sets up the log info.

What distro did you use for installing your phone system. These upgrade scripts will only work with the FreePBX Distro.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for replying so quick!! :slight_smile:

I can see from my VM repository that I installed using the following image:

AsteriskNOW-1.7.1-i386.iso

Is it possible to update the freepbx on this distro? :s

No FreePBX has its own Distro. http://www.freepbx.org/freepbx-distro

That is the Distro that Digium puts out that includes the FreePBX GUI.

At this point your broke your systems quite well and can be really tough to fix. It is almost like running a linux upgrade on a MAC computer. Not sure what I can do to help you fix it.

That is why we added a check to the first step of the upgrade script. If it detects the system is not a FreePBX Distro it exits the script as to not break your box but when you created that file that tricked the scripts into thinking it was a FreePBX Distro system.

Hi Tony,

I realize you shouldn’t provide support for Digium products, so I shouldn’t be asking these questions on this forum.

But would you advise me to:

• put a VM Snapshot back from v2.9.0
  • exclude freepbx from yum upgrade (because I noticed it might even downgrade if I don’t exclude these)
  • yum upgradeall (to get new kernel,php, etc.)
  • run the FreePBX Admin Module GUI Tool for 2.10
  • Upgrade all FreePBX modules

Cheers

Thomas,

I think your best bet at this point would be to engage the FreePBX support team.

The simpler path would be to pull the databases off of the system that you hosed and then do a clean Distro install and restore as much data progrmatically as we can then finish the rest manually.

I could probably get this into the state of becoming a basically a FreePBX Distro but it would be an hour or 2 of support to make this happen. Not trying to force you into buying support but giving you a way out.

You could also take a backup if you have one and try restoring that onto a fresh install of the Distro with FreePXB 2.9.

Your call.

I agree with SkykingOH - your best bet would be to reinstall from a clean distro. That is the best way to have confidence in the system for the long haul.

You can exclude freepbx from the yum update by adding the following line to the /etc/yum.conf file.

exclude=freepbx*

But as things advance there are more dependencies on system related items - like php 5.3 for example. These need to stay synced with the version of freepbx for it to work and if the distro your using doesn’t support keeping everything in sync it will be lots of work on your part - would be more like having your own custom install. This of course has benefits, but probably not the easiest path for many of the users.

If you can manage to get 2.9 or 2.10 to function in anyway what so ever, then you might try the backup module to backup the config, rebuild, and restore.

I have my primary phones on AsteriskNow, because it has just worked since I installed it (and my wife gets pretty upset when I break the phones). I also have a 2.9 FreePBX distro and a 2.10 FreePBX distro that I am playing with on the side. Once 2.10 distro goes gold I intend to move everything over to that. Tony (and whoever is helping him behind the scenes) has been doing a good job of balancing functionality and stability with their distro… and the occasional times when I jump on an update too soon and it causes problems Tony has always provided quick fixes.

Since the FreePBX Distro builds our own FreePBX RPM’s you will notice when you try and do a freepbx yum update it installs the RPM but if FreePBX is installed already it than exits the install of the RPM and keeps it from doing anything besides putting the RPM in place but not actually reinstalling FreePBX.

Learned that one a few years ago the hard way otherwise you could use module admin to upgrade to 2.10 than do a yum upgrade which might have the 2.9 RPM and be back on 2.9 and we all know downgrading FreePBX usually causes issues because the migration on the upgrade is not reverted.

We use dahdi for E1 connection to our office PBX.
How not to use it? I think it is the only way.

Hey, i have an issue after upgrading where the menu is completly broken, see the image below, theres no errors in the httpd error log so im a bit lost

Yes they will as they just update all modules completely

Tony,

I believe the existing script take us to 2.10 final but just to be sure could you confirm?