FreePBX Distro upgrade and merging rpmnew configuration files

FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-8 updated few minutes ago to -9.

First question: I noticed (PHP was updated to 5.3.28 as expected) that yum upgrade process reported the creation of two rpmnew files:

Updating : asterisk11-core-11.8.1-37_centos6.x86_64
warning : /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk created as /etc/logrotate.d/asterisk.rpmnew

Updating : php-common-.3.28-3.shmz65.4.114.x86_64
warning : /etc/php.ini created as /etc/php.ini.rpmnew

but only the first one could actually be found on the system while the second one doesn’t exist, there is a new fresh /etc/php.ini.rpmold file instead.

Isn’t it a little bit strange?

I ask because I wanted to see what differences are there…and eventually merge them manually (in a system with X meld, GUI interface for diff, is my best friend).

Second question: would be advisable (and safe) to install the yum-plugin-merge-conf package to let the system to automatically manage the merging of (running/new) configuration files of updated RPMs?

Since we have taken control of the PHP RPMs we handle that already. The Asterisk one was support to be fixed but was missed in one of the files. Fixing it now.

FreePBX Distro is a appliance so most things will get replaced and not create a .rpmnew file for any RPM that we control such as php now.

We have looked into the merge stuff before and it fails miserably for us in the past and corrupting configs.

Thanks Tony!

I asked precisely because FreePBX Distro is an appliance (so somewhat a system with a very “controlled” birth and purpose).

Below, as example, a list of “rpmnew” files found on my FreePBX Distro now:

/etc/dahdi/modules.rpmnew
/etc/dahdi/system.conf.rpmnew
/etc/logrotate.d/asterisk.rpmnew
/etc/prosody/prosody.cfg.lua.rpmnew
/etc/profile.rpmnew
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.rpmnew
/etc/ntp.conf.rpmnew
/etc/fail2ban/jail.local.rpmnew

and again, as example, the diff of the first one (/etc/dahdi/modules) is:

16,19d15
< # Digium TE435
< # Digium TE235
< wcte43x
<
31,32d26
< # Digium TE133: PCI-Express single-port T1/E1/J1 with hardware echocan
< # Digium TE134: PCI single-port T1/E1/J1 with hardware echocan
56,58d49
< # Digium A4A/A4B/A8A/A8B
< wcaxx
<
86a78,84

Digium TE435

Digium TE235

#wcte43x

Digium A4A/A4B/A8A/A8B

#wcaxx

I’m pretty sure I can live with these files eventually not merged (in some cases some differences look like to be cosmetics only, like the ones existing between sshd_config and sshd_config.rpmnew, in other cases, like the ntp.conf, there are no differences at all…probably because you’ve managed them yet as you said).

P.S.
Off Topic: I saw today another batch of Asterisk 11 (11.8.1-36 → 11.8.1-40) and PHP 5.3.28 (5.3.28-3 114 → 5.3.28-3 119) updates available after the FreePBX Distro 5.211.65-9 update, is it for the -10?

The logrotate and php.ini one are resolved in the 2 mentioned above updates you see.

RPMs we do not control such as ntp and ssh will always do that only if you changed those config files from what came with the RPM.

I will look into the DAHDI ones as we build those RPMs and we already define they should override the ones you have on local disk.

Prosody should also be doing the same thing

Ok the dahdi ones are correct. Once you use the DAHDI module in FreePBX those configs are controlled by the module so the RPM does not touch the files.

The prosody one I correct as we now control that RPM so we include our own stock config that rpmnew is from before we wrote out the prosody config in our own RPM which just includes the prosody config from /etc/asterisk.

Thanks Tony.
I use DAHDI Config Module so it should be OK after all. Regarding Prosody if it’s OK for you it’s OK for me too.