FreePBX Distro Potential Changes- Need your input

So its been 18 months now since we released the FreePBX Distro after much demand for a Official ISO put out by the FreePBX Project.

When we first set out to build a ISO we wanted to keep it simple and provide a simple upgrade path for our users. Well over the course of the last 18 months we have learned a few things and the one thing that seems to keep coming up is people want to pick between asterisk 1.8, 10 and 11 and maybe start with Asterisk 1.8 and move to 11. Currently there is no easy way for this as each major asterisk release is inside its own Distro track.

So if you install a 1.8xx.210.62 track you get upgrades inside that track for Asterisk 1.8 but can not move to 10 or 11 easily.

We are considering moving to 2 simple tracks. Stable and Beta. We should come up with some cool names for the tracks.

At install time you can pick between asterisk versions and all upgrade scripts will upgrade everything inside that track. We would also build a simple way to switch between the core Asterisk versions that are included in that track.

So our first track would be something like 2.210.62-x which I will call Apple, would be our Stable track and include FreePBX 2.10 and Centos 6.2 then you can pick between Asterisk 1.8, 10 or 11 at install time. You could also switch your asterisk version at anytime.

The second track would be 3.211.63-x which I will call Banana, would be our Beta track and include FrePBX 2.11 and Centos 6.3 and Asterisk 1.8, 10 or 11.

All Beta tracks would start with a 3 and stable would start with the 2. We would not provide any upgrade paths from Stable to Beta but once the Beta track has been deemed stable it would be converted to stable and named accordingly and we would provide upgrade paths from the Beta to the final stable. We would also provide upgrades from the old stable Apple which was 2.210.62-x to the new version which would probably be 2.211.63-x and called Banana.

The upgrade paths would be real simple and just run one command from the CLI to upgrade to the latest version inside the track. No more downloading a separate script for each version.

Hope everyone can follow this and let me know your thoughts.

If you’d accept A and C, we can use:

Autovon

and

Crossbar

Both refer to telephone switches, which is nice as well.

Sounds good…but if you call it “apple” you’re probably going to get sued.

BF

Ya hence why I said I need names for the first 2 releases. Once starting with a A and one with a B.

Ya hence why I said I need names for the first 2 releases. Once starting with a A and one with a B.

On the fruit theme:
Apricot, Banana, Cherry, etc…

but my preference would be for:
Almond, Brazil Nut, Cashew, etc…

Not sold on fruit. Was just using examples for my post. I like the Nut idea. That could be fun.

My family says I am nutty as a fruitcake so I am covered in both cases.

If we go with the nut theme can we call the latest beta “beer nuts”

The letter D is tricky with the nut theme unless you like ‘donut’

I’d prefer telephony related names…

How about

Crossbar

and

Step

or

ESS (or EAX)

Or how about

Merlin

and

Cosmos

Whatever you decide, please email me and I’ll write up some new documentation on how to upgrade…

The proposal sounds good and simple.

I like the concept of telephone terms. What about B???

I like the concept of telephone terms. What about B???

I like the idea of simplifying but when I get to the restaurant and have too many choices, it can be a difficult process! Yes… three or four can be overwhelming!

In having researched the pluses and minuses of the different Asterisk versions, I, and I am sure some other users who are sort of understanding all of this, (and I want to go to OTTS again), get a little confused on which might be the best version to stick with. And… what are the pluses/minuses for the distro in using Cent OS 6.2 or 6.3… obviously security and other OS enhancements, but for our telephony needs.

So, what, in your opinion, will be the best and most stable path for long term sustainability?

Should it be reduced to a stable and beta version in the same upgrade path/OS and Asterisk versions? Is that possible?

Thanks.

The upgrade to Centso 6.3 from 6.2 is trivial just not ready to call it Stable yet. Need a couple more months to make sure no new bugs come up. Hence why 6.2 is our stable.

Yes that is the plan. The Beta and Stable will both let you pick between asterisk 1.8, 10 and 11. The only real difference is FreePBX 2.10 versus 2.11 and Centos 6.2 versus 6.3.

When the Beta proves stable we will create a new Beta with maybe Centos 6.4 or whatever we need to test in a proper Beta. There may be times we do not have a Beta track if there is nothing about core changes that need to be tested.

The idea seems decent, and if overall it makes maintaining the various distro releases it should be good for everyone.

That said, one question, if you change over to this new method of handling the distro’s, what becomes of the current versions being used? Will there be some script I would assume to take the stable or beta versions over to the new way of handling things?

Not that a reload is horrible, but I never look for extra unneeded work… :slight_smile:

Will it be possible to upgrade from Centos 5.8?

Yes all existing Centos 6.2 or 6.3 tracks will be upgraded to the new release system.

No we can not upgrade from Centos 5.8 This has been covered over and over that their is no Centos 5.x to 6.x upgrade path