FreePBX disto stability and number of extensions

Hi,
I’m planning to use FreePBX disto for about 100 extension and SIP trunk with 30 SIP sessions from our tcom. I was wondering how stable is FreePBX distro for this number of extensions?
I will probably use ATA Gateways (Grandstream 4224) for half of the extensions and the rest will be IP phones…

I’ve been used Elastix past years for up to max 20 extensions and few ISDN or analog lines, so I don’t have experience with more than 20 extensions. I know Elastix is based on freepbx, that’s why now I want to start using just FreePBX because I don’t need Elastix ads (CRM, vtiger…) and because updates of Elastix disto are rare as australopithecus skull :wink:

Thanks

500 is routine and I have heard of deployments exceeding 2000.

Bare bones Asterisk has been tested to 100,000 SIP registrations (or greater).

I would say the FreePBX distro is more stable by design than Elastix. This is not scientific, but we run less services and overhead. The more bloat the more issues. I can say FreePBX is used in many large installations (much larger than you describe) and runs flawlessly.

Thanks for the answers…that’s encouraging. I red tests with 10000 extensions but they were synthetic tests, not really world installations…
I used to disable services and module I don’t need before on Elastix and Asterisk, and that way I could make PBX more stable, and you’re right, the more things you don’t need - more troubles…

with the default setting you are limited to 5000 calls your need 2 rtp ports per call you have 10000 and your default ulimits will not support even that, suspect those tests.

I’ll try to find those test…I think it was 10k extensions, not 10k concurrent calls…
One more question. Should I, by installing FreePBX on some hypervisor like VMware ESXi, endanger stability of the PBX?
I saw, here on the forum, some people got issues with httpd service (eats too much memory, http stops responding…) when FreePBX is on vmware…

mIRO

I can’t speak for VMWare but I use qemu-kvm on cpu’s with vt-x (and vt-d if you need it) they work flawlessly you are pretty safe on reasonable hardware with half a cpu core and 1024M of memory per machine, usually less than that, reasonably expect a dozen or so concurrent calls on each such machine, scale to suit.