FreePBX design discussion

Another little tidbit to throw into the hat on this thread because of what I am seeing on the forum right now. I’ve said it before and I’m going to say it again. Stop sending every single user to the Edge Repo for a fix. That’s not what the Edge repo was made for, it’s not how it is supposed to be used. So please stop doing it this way.

The Edge repo was meant as a place for modules to go when they are still passing review and QA which means they haven’t been approved for STABLE release yet. They could still have bugs, etc… The Edge repo was meant for users like me (and those like me) that have the skillset and knowledge to deal with an edge module having bugs and issues with it still. We understand it, we accept that fact.

Right now as of this post, people are having issues with updates that the answer is now “Oh get the new version of Framework from Edge”. No, if the current version of Framework in the Stable repo is flawed and broken either pull it or make this new release of Framework stable and put it in the Stable repos. Now if anyone wants to comment on how that isn’t prudent and provides reasons why, just understand you’re only backing up my argument that we shouldn’t be throwing Edge repos out to every basic user out there as their go to answer.

All this is doing is training users that if their fix isn’t in the Stable repo they should grab it from the Edge repo. Except at that point the Edge might not have the fix and might even cause more issues for the user because of other changes (not saying bugs but the IVR overhaul is a good example) that they are unaware of.

1 Like

Absolutely right. Someone released a bug direct to stable so it’s best to fix it directly in stable.

When users post an issue I know to be addressed with an edge version, I advise them to upgrade. That is the case with my colleagues as well. Users have the choice not to upgrade and live with the complaint, does that need to be stated every time?

The latest case was an error on our (Sangoma’s) part where a module was published to stable while a dependency was still in edge. Obviously the proper fix is “don’t ever do that”, but mistakes do happen. In this case it was identified early Friday, and the fix was published to stable early Monday (today) one business day later.

The ONLY practical fix to this current issue previous to today was to upgrade framework to edge. So I ask in seriousness, given these specific circumstances, what should have been said if not upgrade framework to edge?

2 Likes

While I totally agree with your opinion of don’t tell people to update to edge, it is the only simple method currently built into FreePBX. There is no simple way to revert a module back a version because the version numbers are obscured. Yes The can be looked up, but it is so many clicks.

In this specific case, the problem had nothing to do with Framework, technically. It was Core that was released and has a dependency on the unreleased Framework. This Core version should have never been released. That or if it was released, it should never have let itself be installed if Framework was not at the right level

Once it all went to shit on the forums here and was a known issue, there should have been no reason for a 3 day lag. Business days mean jack squat.

Depends on one’s definition of simple. Module version numbers are not obscured, and rollback to any of the last several versions is supported in the GUI:
https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/FPG/Module+Admin+User+Guide#ModuleAdminUserGuide-Rollback

That is why I stated “so many clicks”. It is a lot of work to get to compared to your normal

fwconsole ma upgrade modulename --edge
fwconsole reload

There are plenty of plugins to make the Confluence experience cleaner for documentation users. k15t’s Confluence Viewport is one that immediately come to mind.

I am no technical writer but it seems the wiki was built with a focus to document in a more archival sense rather than a focus to provide a gateway to documentation.

1 Like