FreePBX and CentOS base: CentOS is dead from now on

No, I blame your team 100% of the time. Schmoozecom was in charge of decisions.

Realistically, this is the direction we’re working on right now.

Initially building/experimenting around CentOS 8, with the plan to move to one of the CentOS based forks very quickly.

Also ioncube work is being done right now as well. As mentioned at Astricon, PHP 7.x is really important from a project perspective, and ioncube is the vehicle that can take us there.

Matthew Fredrickson

4 Likes

And 100% of why FreePBX is alive and well now for you to complain about whatever it is that has you ruffled this time. You’re welcome.

@mfredrickson y’all are rocking it. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

Absolutely. For that, I thank you. But you can’t cast blame anywhere else. Sure things came about from the things that came before.

But Schmoozecom made the choice to go from there versus do something else.

Just as your team went with Zend for the commercialization.

It’s easy to place blame when:

:slight_smile:

I doubt Zend looked like anything other than a perfect solution at the time it was chosen. Now that it’s TU it is fairly obvious to say it was a poor choice. :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, and I am not saying that it was not the best choice at the time.

Because I do not know that answer.

My point, as stated, is about not pushing things off as anything but the choices of Schmoozecom.

I would agree, no fault to assign on picking zend when it was selected. My biggest complaint is not moving toward 7.x compatibility sooner. 7.x will be EOL by the time there is official support.

For now, Ioncube may dictate releasing v16 on php7, but hopefully they are testing and targeting the code with an eye toward php8 compatibility so it won’t be such a big lift when the time comes.

And don’t forget node.js…

Last I tried, dependency issues lock us to node 11 or earlier. Node v11 is already EOL. v10 is an LTS release, but is EOL in April this year.

1 Like

This is technically a perk of the new centos model. As approving ground you get the new toys. With rolling releases like Ubuntu has done forever you get new toys and don’t have to wait for vetting…

I am going to put this right here.

Yep, they changed the rules again.

Will they cross their hearts and hope to die that this won’t happen again next month ?

To whom is the 16 servers limit relevant?
What level of ‘subscription’ is necessary?
Anybody fooled yet?

logically a 74x6N?

too late they have lost them. centos no longer exists, tehy now want to offer you 16 install-based developer user licences in their “new” extended dev program,

To hell with that, IBM, redhats owner, has killed centos, it was their long term plan in the hope that centos users will go out and buy RHEL licences. they want to kill off open source and use subscription services.

Time for sangoma to pick a new distro base. One thats not owned by big greedy corporates. This leaves Slackware, Gentoo, or heaven forbid - debian, but if want to stay with RPM, then opensuse

The opportunity should be taken now to redesign, so everything extracts into /opt/freepbx (including asterisk) in a distro-ready install package.

This means they can package whats needed to run,verify, whatever (including commercial modules - except perhaps teh sys admin one) and it can then be installed and run on any god damn distro out there - unlike now.

Let this greed by IBM be a lesson for the project, one that is not repeated again because of some long term plan to buy and destroy a distro

You seem to not realize that FreePBX (the distro) only exists because someone (Schmoozecom) wanted to make money. Had @jfinstrom and company not turned it into a profitable (we assume) business model, it would not be anything at all like the solution it is now.

Instead it would be a bygone solution no different than Elastix and Trixbox.

The entitlement on this tread is amazing. Take a little time to learn how to install Asterisk and FreePBX on any Linux of your choice and you will be free from relying on Distro.

As for commercial modules? Duh, they’re commercial, and who says you should be able to do whatever you want? If Sangoma wants to control the environment into which they are installed that is their choice. No one is forcing you to pay them any money to use their commercial modules.

2 Likes

That is not practical for a business that wants a phone system. Sure, it is something that you and I can do. But it is not something that Bob’s Widget Shop should know how to do. Instead the IT admin at BWS should install a pre-built package that they can get easy support on. FreePBX, VitalPBX, 3CX, FusionPBX, or others. It does not matter.

You and I are not at odds on this. The person I responded to was ranting about corporate greed and said he wants Distro, but portable across “any [g.d.] distro.” That is unreasonable from a QA and support standpoint. You either DIY–in which case you can run FreePBX on any system you like–or you use what Sangoma offers as a Distro. That seems extremely fair to me. You either pay through your DIY and self-support or you pay with money…

2 Likes

Yeah, I was trying to post clarity for others who didn’t get that.

Actually freepbx existed because a guy called Rob Thomas wrote it, you might have heard of him around here before /sarcasm

oh the fanbois are out in force today arent they
If commercial modules only run on one distro, thats poor management, as you remove yourself from a huge wide market.