FreePBX 15 v2?

Will a second release of of FreePBX 15 be coming out? The “1910” version seems kind of incomplete in regards to a land and go a least from a new install perspective.

Thanks!!

The 1910 version you are referring to is the distro version not the FreePBX version. As of SNG7 it is now a rolling distro as in I’m running FreePBX v14 on SNG7 and my version is also 1910.

FreePBX does not require the distro to run or be installed. There is also no “v2” release. The modules are updated with bug fixes and features as time goes on. Modules updates are how you keep FreePBX updated. System updates are how you keep the distro updated. Everyone running FreePBX needs to do to do the former but only those that use the distro need to do the latter.

Also, when you ask when a new version is going to be released because the current seems incomplete and lacking, you should lay out what you believe is such so someone could at least address these concerns.

I’m referring to the “SNG7-PBX-64bit-1910” on the FreePBX download page.

From a hobbyist perspective I kind of have a expectation that if I use an ISO that contains the OS and applications it should have core functions that just work without dropping to root and running a command. I regularly drop the distro I’m not running a production environment - I’m goofing. From the hobbyist view it seems odd that I can’t update the modules as this throws an error. I can’t do a backup because the backup section doesn’t have a predefined job that points to a local directory. Sure I can ssh and run a command to update the modules and explore how the install craved up the drive to figure out where to land a local back then spend time applying the correct rights so the backup can write to the directory. I thought well maybe it’s covered in the release notes and I’m expecting too much from this first distro…but the release notes point to the prior distro. I’m playing with other PBX software and this distro seems to have an unwelcoming start. : )

If this is how thing are then it is what it is.

Thanks!

My standard procedure when installing distro is run the install, login as root and run yum update and then fwconsole ma upgradeall and fwconsole r first thing. Don’t go to the GUI and activate first, just run these command line tasks.

Unless the ISO was updated you must do this to get to a secure version not affected by the admin login bypass vulnerability posted last month.

Hi billsimon,

Sound like good advice to place in the release notes. : )

Thanks!

The FreePBX development team periodically releases an updated ISO of the FreePBX distro with both updated packages for the operating system and for FreePBX (and FreePBX modules). I don’t know exactly when the next version of the ISO is scheduled to come out – but I’ll reach out to that team and ask.

In the meantime, would you please share more details on what you think is missing? Are you just concerned about it not having the very latest modules, or are you suggesting that something else is missing?

Hi Jsmith,

The update process should work out of the box.

I was really excited about playing with the new backup but a default backup job does not exist and as noted in a prior message you can’t just simply type some random directory in.

I’m not trying to beat the product up I’m just thinking it could be a lot nicer to new installs. : )

If you install the ISO and run the commands that I noted, the update process works fine. Not sure where you’re seeing the failure.

Sorry - I’m not asking that the new modules exist but that the update works. Right now it seems the FreePBX GUI pops up an error as too many modules need to be updated.

Billsimon,

I’m not saying it doesn’t work. I’m wondering if the new install could be a bit friendlier.

Thanks,

I agree; it would be a good feature request to have something like a first-boot script that runs updates. (Optional)

1 Like

I like that idea!!!

I get the fact that updating bits are a pain. Maybe a solution would be to have in the release notes to login as root and run this script.

Just to make sure you’re not confusing things. Release Notes do not contain how-to’s or instructional manuals. They contain notes about the release such as what features where added, what libraries where added/updated, what bugs were fixed, etc.

So in something like FreePBX which follows a modular structure, each module is handled individually and can have updates/releases only for that module. So each module has its own change log.

Things like First Steps after Install or the Document Center or the FreePBX GUI section which contains all the module documentation and how to use said modules. These things are stored in a Wiki or Knowledge base or sometimes in downloadable documents. They are completely different than release notes.

Have you look at those things to find some of this information you say is lacking?

Hi Tom,

Billsimon and I are talking about new installs and how to address known issues which will hamper the new install experience after dropping the distro. It’s not uncommon in Release Notes to call out post actions after dropping an initial install. So the idea is to call out in the notes to run a script that resides somewhere under the of FreePBX/Sangoma control - FTP site for example. The script would fix know issues and it would “seem” to be an easier process to maintain. My focus is a better install and not so much the after install whereas one wants to configure elements of the product.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.