Free PBX12 on Ubuntu 14.04

In first line of install dependencies ‘uname -r’ is used. I assume that I would use root as the user name (am logged in as such) and not use the apostrophe enclosures. Also how does one go between the lines of commands to correct text - the left and right arrows are fine for the current line. The up and down arrows provide interesting code disappearance and reappearance effects.

Thank you in advance for replying.

That is not for a username. Run it yourself and see what it does. It returns the kernel version.

Thanks tm1000. That handles part 1 and my typo is an issue. Can you help with the command line editing?

What exactly do you need to edit? Are you using a VM?

The required dependencies shows a “” symbol with an indented line below. As I enter text and hit the return key after that symbol then my screen presentation is as shown in your instructions. However if I am on the fourth line down and want to edit something on the first line, the keyboard arrow keys don’t allow moving between lines. That’s what I want to do - move between lines.

I’m not using a Virtual Machine.

How are you connected to the ubuntu system? Those “” are a newline separator. If you want to go back and edit something then you need an intermediary. Like a textpad.

You seem to generally lack knowledge about how a linux system works. Is there a reason you want to use ubuntu? We have an ISO that you can put on a DVD that would install this all for you automatically.

I’m not as familiar with Linux as I am with windows. I have quit a collection of code there. I did try to look up the uname and the \ but they were not found in my searches. But I try to be literal and the example shows the new line at the command prompt. If it’s there for clarity and I don’t need it, I’m happier.

Ubuntu is not officially certified. Please keep that in mind as your progress through this, especially since you are not familiar with linux, you are walking down a dangerous path in the future, especially if you don’t know about things like iptables and fail2ban. You have been warned.

FYI, the Windows environment has become, shall we say, costly - especially for my client base. i’m looking for alternatives. This is the first time with a long command line.

My advice to you is use a pre-packaged ISO. Don’t do this manually (which is what you are doing) especially because you are just getting your feet wet with linux. Give yourself time to grow, don’t jump head first into these waters without basic knowledge like “uname” and “” separators. There are things much more complicated than that which you will run into. ISOs/DIstros get you to a basic operating state and then from there you can play around and figure things out and learn.

IPTables and FailtoBan are not too much of an issue. I’ve worked with them in the past. I appreciate your advise but in the albeit limited work I’ve done, the command line navigation for the text you have was unsolvable to me. The text would not allow installation of dependencies because of a typo. I wanted to fix and learn so researched then called. You’ll notice that I have been using both FreePBX and PIAF for almost seven years with local and remote users, faxing, sip trunks and pstn lines. These pbx’s used apps and I haven’t needed support from the boards or whatever. Also I have three of your commercial apps and did notice that they are not Ubuntu friendly - or the other way around.

You are right. There is no support for Ubuntu on commercial modules.

Like I said, best to take a multiline argument using “” into a local text editor and edit it then paste back what you need. The “” is commonly used around the internet.

Page 3 of http://vic.gedris.org/Manual-ShellIntro/1.2/ShellIntro.pdf

1.3 How is BASH different from the DOS command prompt?

“\” vs. “/”: In DOS, the forward-slash “/” is the command argument delimiter,
while the backslash “\” is a directory separator. In Linux/UNIX, the
“/” is the directory separator, and the “\” is an escape character.

Solved the problem with navigation on screens with escape codes. It was the keyboard on my ancient (circa 2000) kvm console.

The beta is installed on Ubuntu server 14.04.1 with the following modifications to the instructions:

Apache2.conf does require the “All” replacement of “None”. but a few lines down There are three lines dealing with ‘filesmatch’ which I commented out (and it made freepbx happy. These lines prevented any web client from reading any file beginning with ,ht - I did not have time to determine how, or if, this could be scripted to allow only the asterisk user in apache.

setting permissions on the MySQL databases required a slight change in procedure. I logged into the MySQL shell as root with password. At the MySQL> I entered the GRANT etc. text without quotes at beginning and end. If I utilized the posted syntax then an error indicating “incorrect database name” would be generated.
For the “./install_amp etc.” I did have to reinstall Linux headers for this to work.

Unfortunately I’ve only had about 4 or 5 one hour to 1.5 shots at this. However I will say that the system is “crisper” on an i5 z97 mobo than on my dual xeon, 5 year old systems. My intent was to integrate voice recognition into the FreePBX/Ubuntu environment. But myself and cohorts won’t be able to start this in the near term.

Sorry for the much abbreviated report.

1 Like

One more change to the install procedure is with the following user name and password::
./install_amp --installldb --username-root --password=yourrootpassword.

I have (unplanned) limited work timebut the UCP is awesome. Everything seems “crisper” with the Ubuntu compared to current non-beta 64 bit versions of FreePBX and PIAF. The hardware differences favor the latter.

Am in the process of setting up postfix email for voicemail and notifications. Couldn’t find much online in forum or wiki for email server setup. I will say that FreePBX is telling me that something is screwed up with the notification process and I should fix it. Appreciate this as the message will (?) disappear when I fix the issue. For existing installs I did change the host name and domain and it took a few server and asterisk tries to discover the best fix. With this a solution can be step by step. I have seen other messages as well and appreciated the reminder.

Currently I have two trunks and two yealink t28 with current bios. Using sip and port 5061 everything registers practically upon hitting the enter key. Voice is clear and volume is more stable.

I have three Schmooze optional modules on the PIAF install. These are System Manager Pro, Endpoint Manager, and Caller ID Manager. The first two I have used extensively and will miss (unless these and maybe conferencing pro can be converted).

Ubuntu FreePBX is FreePBX 12.0.1rc15 and Asterisk Ver. 12.5.0. The FreePBX is 2.11.0 and Asterisk Ver. 11.7.0.

At this time we have no plans to do that.

If I install the 64 bit distro release candidate can i transfer the three commercial modules to that install? If I do so is there a continuum between the rc’s and final distro that would leave the modules intact?

A wrapup - works great just like current stable with asterisk 11. We haven’t tried to kill the pbx - not enough time but we like the crispness of the pbx and freepbx12. The main issues we had were the install scripts, music on hold, conference bridge and meetme, and emailing voicemail and updates and etc.

This is on a z97 board with a quad core i5 with hyperthread - 8 cores total. The existing release PBX is on a dual xeon (2 yrs old) with 8 cores per and a heck of a lot of hyperthreaded cores. The i5 is cleaner even with checking and adjusting for hyperthreading. Ram is 8 gig and 64 gig. both boards are dual channel memory. The i5 idles at 18 watts and the xeons -well they’re really hot at over 100 watts.

We plan (soon) to do in the Ubuntu and set up either the RC12 or Stable 12 and transfer some commercial modules from one of our other machines (the conference module is great and we miss it).