Forwarding external caller ID through IVR to external number

This is from my provider. Sounds like a challenge,!

Once the inbound call hits your pbx, that’s the end of the process, then your pbx makes an outgoing call, the caller id set on the extension will show on your mobile.

If you want the caller id passed through to your mobile you will need to use the IVR functionality on our system and route the call directly from us to your mobile, once it has been answered by your pbx it’s not possible to send the inbound callers number out again.

Not a challenge, just a common reality nowadays, you need to find a carrier that honors your proffered CallerID

Encountered the same issue. The workaround is to create another extension and use find-me-follow-me to your mobile number and then the callerID will pop up. For some reason, this will pass the callerID as seen from legs from the carrier to your pbx. Forwarding through misc destinations or etc is not going to pass callerID as you want it.

Keep in mind that if you intend to transfer the call to a land line make sure call confirmation is disabled and then establish that the CID mode is default. Otherwise, enable call confirmation for personal cell and leave CID configuration to default.

Peter’s provider made it clear that they still won’t forward the caller ID, even if he uses FindMe/FollowMe. Until recently, I would have suggested my SIP Trunk carrier, Net2Phone but the last time I put a customer on them, they had switched to new SIP servers, and among other problems I had with that customer, was the inability to forward Caller ID, even using FM/FM.

I have a ticket open with Net2Phone, but I suspect we are going to be seeing more and more issues like this, as carriers begin to tighten up their rules to combat scam callers and robocalls. The rules here in the US are supposed to allow for the forwarding of caller ID with a lower confidence level, but as Peter’s carrier points out, they really have no way of knowing if the call is forwarded or originating within the PBX.

This is something our industry is going to have to hash out one way or another. Combatting phone spam is a laudable goal, especially considering most people now days operate primarily on cell phones and spammers have no way of knowing if the call recipient might be behind the wheel or in other potentially hazardous situations. But it’s also important for a call recipient to know exactly who’s calling, for exactly the same reason… which means that we have to have a way to forward caller ID.

@petecat1 - Give FindMe/FollowMe a shot, but if it doesn’t work, ask your carrier to escalate the issue. Also, see if your application could tolerate the forward triggering before hitting your PBX. I realize that’s not likely, considering the decision to forward may have to come from an after-hours IVR or an internal operator, but it may be worth an explore. Perhaps your carrier could host the initial after-hours IVR? If they are going to block your caller ID, it’s up to them to offer a viable work-around.

There is a lot of confusing info in this thread. A provider said “the caller id set on the extension will show on your mobile”. So they are giving you at least some control of the outbound CID. I would first confirm that you can set Outbound CID for your extension to a number that you have with them, but different from your ‘regular’ CID and have that number appear when you call your mobile. If not, there is likely something wrong with your configuration. Using pjsip logger, confirm that the outgoing INVITE has From with the CID properly formatted (unless they require a user ID in From User), and that PAI or RPID (whichever they require) has the properly formatted CID.

Once you get that working, try setting Outbound CID to a valid number that is not yours, and retest calling your mobile. If that number does appear, the forward call should work if properly configured. If it fails (your main company number shows up), they are blocking CIDs that are not yours and you will need to find another approach. First, test with the other provider that you already have. If they also block numbers that are not yours, options include:

1. Get a third trunk that doesn’t restrict this. I have several test/demo trunks and would be glad to test, if you PM me the number to send, the number to call and when it’s ok to call in what time zone.

2. Install a SIP app on the destination phone, registered to a FreePBX extension, and send calls there, rather than as mobile voice calls. There will then be no caller ID restrictions.

3. Forward the call as you’re doing now, with the wrong caller ID, but send the original caller’s number by some other path (email, SMS, push notification, etc.)

Agreed, there’s a bit of confusion on this thread.

I gathered from @petecat1 that this was an inbound call issue and that the callerID arrives, is seen being processed on legs within the dialplan logic; except for when he attempted to send the call to his mobile at which point the callerID no longer stayed pegged with the call.

I’ve been using Asterisk/FreePBX since 2005 and I was stumped on this one or why I didn’t come across it sooner as I’ve deployed many systems where this callerID issue has not come up the way petecat1 has described in his issue with sending the callerID to his mobile. I just experienced this same issue recently in the last couple months. Perhaps a FreePBX feature change or bug as the callerID does arrive but won’t stick to the leg of the call reaching an outside number on transfer.

However, I will say that there is only one carrier I’ve stuck with over the years where this has never come up before, Flowroute, and didn’t get solved until I used find-me-follow-me as a work-around to send out the call to an external number while maintaining the inbound callerID from the first leg of the call.

Oh boy, I have a bad feeling how this anti-spam stuff may eventually snuff much of the callerID ethos we’ve been accustomed to. CallerID is a simple feature yet profoundly important for context, but its been abused and understandable that carriers are changing things up and Flowroute may be lagging with the changes/controls or found a way to get callerID to work with known endpoints as they serve the developer market.

Thanks all, for suggestions. I will get back to you with findings, possibly on the weekend. Stewart, I like option 2. I’m already using a sip app to call back the people who are getting through to my phone. (Using the office CID so they don’t get my personal number either!)

One other follow up
Yes to bduehn. The provider can host the after hours IVR. That could be an option.

Stewart, is it possible to register a SIP app to FreePBX on our network when the phone that hosts the app is not on the network?

I haven’t had a chance to mess with the callerID settings on the provider’s portal.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.