Follow-me voice quality problem

Hello

When a cell-phone call is made using follow-me
* they can not hear us talk. it is all garble
* We can hear the person talking on the cell phone.
* they get garble from us.

When the same cell phone is called using a speed dial setup in Asterisk Phonebook, the call is clear.

I’m using freePBX 2.2.3 and trixbox.

Any suggestions on making follow-me calls clearer?

Thanks
Rob

The 50K foot view of it sounds like QoS issues possible related to lack of bandwidth. However, that’s really just a guess.

What is the call being originated from (a cell phone I’m guessing)?
How is the call coming in? (VoIP, Zap, … - and if VoIP what codecs)
How is the call going back out (VoIP, Zap, … - and if VoIP what codecs)
Where is the call eventually termination? (Cell phone, landline, ???)

And assuming VoIP is in the mix here, what type of broadband, what are your bandwidths up/down, what are you doing to control QoS? What else is going on with these data lines?

That’s the type of information that will be needed to determine what is going on.

What is the call being originated from (a cell phone I’m guessing)?
a Polycom IP 550 , here on my desk, at the location where the trixbox computer is.

How is the call coming in? (VoIP, Zap, … - and if VoIP what codecs)

How is the call going back out (VoIP, Zap, … - and if VoIP what codecs)
Voip, VoicePulse

Where is the call eventually termination? (Cell phone, landline, ???)
Cell phone

And assuming VoIP is in the mix here, what type of broadband, what are your
bandwidths up/down, what are you doing to control QoS?
I use a PfSense fire wall.
It has traffic shaping setup, with Asterisk aet at a high priority. Are you familiar with PfSense?

• What else is going on with these data lines?
    I use them to do off site rsync backups. All of my scripts use ’ --bwlimit=150’ .

In addition customers ssh in to enter orders.

Note:
the odd thing is that the calls to a cell phone are bad using ‘Follow Me’.
when I dial the same phone from a phone [PolyCom Ip 550 ] OR thru speed dial using the same phone, the quality of the call is ok.

there is some missing info there, what bandwidth?

As far as pfsense and QoS - I have not used pfsense but am familiar with it. It depends on what is is really doing wrt to traffic shaping. I have seen many systems that think they are doing QoS when they aren’t, or are not doing it right.

If you make outbound calls direct and they work fine but make them to someone else’s extension that has FollowMe setup and they get garbled then there appears to be some issue going on with your box or for some reason Asterisk is trying to do something like transcode in one case but not in another or some other changed behavior that is effecting it.

You should try different ring strategies to see if that makes a difference. In particular, switch between the ‘-prim’ version and the normal version of what you are using and see what that does.

Otherwise, one would have to take a closer look at your system during one of each type of call to see what is different, can be be a bit time consuming.