Follow Me Cant dial out

Hi All.
I’m sitting with a problem with Follow Me.

I’ve got two companies setup on Freepbx with two SIP Trunks.
Extension 200 uses outbound route “Company A” with “Caller ID” field set to 200 to pick up Trunk 1
Extension 201 uses outbound route “Company B” with “Caller ID” field set to 201 to pick up Trunk 2.

This all works 100%.

But with Follow me set on both extensions to dial outside cell number, its unable to dial out because the Caller ID is no longer 200 or 201 but the system trying to dial out.

I’ve tried to set “Fixed CID Value” in Follow Me to 200/201 but with no success.

Any Ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

That’s going to be a tough one.

Is there a reason why you want to manage the calls to your customer’s cell phones this way? I’ll go out on a limb and guess that you’re trying to use Asterisk in a multi-tenant configuration. If that’s the case, you’ve found one of the many places where MT doesn’t work very well.

So, how can you solve this dilemma? You don’t really want the Caller ID on the FMFM to be the extension - that doesn’t help your customer. The Caller ID route isn’t going to get you where you want to go.

Just thinking while I type, but something like:

Use “Set Caller ID” to the inbound number then go to Trunk (whichever). If you can go straight from the SetCallerID function to the outbound trunk, you can control the call flow. If that doesn’t work, you could try dropping through an intermediate “MiscDest” to get to the Trunk call.

Try that and see how it goes.

To force an outbound call through a specific outbound route, define a unique prefix for each route that is stripped off prior to going to the trunk. Then define the FMFM DIDs with this prefix.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the quick response.

Just a bit of background… there’s 2 companies with 2 sip trunks, and two extensions(very small)

To make sure ext.200 & 201 pick up their respective trunks on outbound calls, i configured the caller id field under manipulation rules to the extension numbers.

So when 200 phones out, it picks up trunk A. When 201 phones out it picks up trunk B. (Because the callerid field choses the trunk)

That all works 100%.

But when asterisk needs to dial the external number for follow me, it doesn’t dial from 200 or 201. So i get the msg that the call cant be completed etc…
The only way to get follow me to make external calls os to add XXXXXXXXXX to the match pattern, but then, 200 and 201 doesn’t pick up their respective trunks.

I hope this explanation makes sense.

Hoping that you’ve got a solution.

Thanks!!

Dont use the caller id field in outbound routes for this type of setup. Look at using extension routing which does a much better job at this and will allow the Follow Me to honor the same rules.

Hi Tony,
Is Extension routing a free module?

Its a commercial module. I think you can get it free for a year.

Thanks Tony.

Is there another way to solve my problem without using commercial modules?

not that I am aware of.

Hi lgaetz.

Your suggestion worked 100%

Thank you very much!

1 Like