First install of FPBX into a VM - testing outside N America?

People,

I have been following Asterix from since before I retired and now I don’t have clients that might make use of a multi-user PBX but I have a few possible uses of the tech for my own non-profit organisations etc.

I installed the downloaded iso happily in a VM except for setting up a free SIP which required me to be in N America (I am in Australia).

So the first step for me is to set up a soft phone on my Fedora Linux workstation that can talk to the FPBX on the VM and just chat to someone . . somewhere else in the country or the world . . - is there another conveniet SIP provider than I can use?

Secondly, I would like to connect my single line PSTN connection to the workstation somehow - I presume this will require hardware of some sort to plug into either a USB port or a PCI slot?

Eventually I want to be able to use the setup as a digital answering machine for the PSTN line.

Thanks,
Phil.

By ‘workstation’ do you mean PBX? Now that you’re retired, shouldn’t it be a PlayStation?

For connecting an analog line to a PBX, you want an ATA device with at least 1 FXO port for each line you want to support, you don’t want FXO cards if you’re using a VM. There are devices from Obihai (now poly), Grandstream, Linksys/Cisco. See what you can source locally and then check back for opinions on them.

No, I have the FPBX install running in a VM on my Fedora Linux workstation.

Ha! . . I was never much interested in that stuff . .

I don’t understand this - I need an ATA device but I can’t use it with FPBX on the VM?

Like I said, the first step for me was to get a soft phone going - the PSTN line connection was the second step - so, back to the subject of the post - where can I get a SIP that will allow me to test the FPBX in Australia?

Thanks.

Almost any Australian Internet Service Provider will sell you a SIP phone account. Other options are MyNetFone, Faktortel, Maxotel, Crazytel, Siptalk, and many many others.

If you aren’t sure where to start you could try posting in this forum mostly frequented by Australians: Not signed in. Be clear with your requirements and you’ll get some good advice.

The distinction you’re missing is the ATA vs a telephony card. The ATA is an external device which uses SIP to connect to the PBX. A card installs on the hardware bus and uses drivers to connect to the PBX. For a VM install you want an ATA.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.