Firewall keeps comming up with "New Interface Detected"

I have an installation that in dashboard it keeps saying “new Interface Detected” I click resolve, & mark it as External, and let it do it’s thing, then go to dashboard and it says New Interface Detected again… I have noticed in my /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 it keeps writing “ZONE=trusted” at the bottom of the file, over and over, I deleted thousands of these, had only one, with “ZONE=external” at the bottom of the file, save it, and open it back up a few minutes later and it has a few more “ZONE=trusted” at the bottom. any ideas on this behavior? and how to resolve the issue so my firewall will work?

this is what I have now…

DEVICE="eth0"
BOOTPROTO="none"
HWADDR="D0:27:88:BA:BD:9C"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT="yes"
TYPE="Ethernet"
UUID="2914b14f-131f-43d9-afcc-527a97e92266"
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.150
GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
PEERDNS==no

ZONE=external

ZONE=trusted

ZONE=trusted

ZONE=trusted

ZONE=trusted

ZONE=trusted

ZONE=trusted

You have a typo in the file that is confusing the parser. Please remove the two =='s.

I’ll see if I can figure out how to work around that 8-\

That seems to work. I’ll publish it to edge now, if you want to try it.

Edit: In edge, firewall release 13.0.35.2

I can’t believe how much I’ve worked on this problem & didn’t notice that typo… let me change that & see if it fixes it :slight_smile:

1 Like

All fixed! I’m glad to have someone else to look things over to see what I missed! thank you very much!

2 Likes

Sorry for jumping in on this thread so long after the fact, but I have the same error and I can’t get rid of it. I’m also completely new at this so I expect I’ve done something incorrectly.

I just tried reconfiguring eth0 through System Admin hoping that would fix things, no luck.

My entire ifcfg-eth0 consists of the following;

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ZONE=external
DESCRIPTION=“VBox Bridged Interface”

There was a bit more to it (some IPV6 stuff) prior to using System Admin, which generated the above file.

I’ve restarted the service, no go. I may be missing something else as when I click on the “resolve” link in the error message in the Dashboard I simply get an error “Exception, Can’t find page zones”

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

if using firefox clear the cache, had the same issue and with the firewall message. cleared it and it went away.

There has been some discussion lately about Virtual Servers that reassign the MAC address for the system every time the box is rebooted. It looks like you might be running in a virtual server, so you might need to check the status of the MAC addresses of your interfaces.

U also might want to check the bug trackers I believe there is an open bug that is being worked on referencing this symptom.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses!

I’m getting this from multiple browsers on multiple machines

Wow, I can see how that would wreak havoc on a network. I’m using Virtual Box and the MAC address is set as a parameter for the machine. I also know it’s not changing as the DHCP server gives it the same address each time (I created a reservation for it.)

I’ll look into that. I’ll report back once it’s solved.

Thank you all again.

Frankb is correct, there are a few reports of the issue I’m encountering. I’ll wait and see how it shakes out.

https://issues.freepbx.org/browse/FREEPBX-14765

This should now be fixed, so please try to upgrade to edge (fwconsole ma --edge upgrade firewall) and report back - If I get a couple of people saying it’s fine, I’ll push it to full release.

Thanks!

Thanks, after the last update everything is hunky dory

1 Like

Hi
I install (manually) Centos 6 - Asterisk 13 - Frepbx 13 -
I have a few issues with it but as I’m trying to learn I really do not care.
One of my problems is that the extensions has audio problem but I think that this is configuration problems, but a very wear thing happens sometimes register other not, and this without do anything even without use.
Afer one day of instlations and I get Firewall erro
Firewall keeps comming up with “New Interface Detected” I used what Rob Thomas wrote and seams that fixed. But I’m see a very wear behavior in Putty - when you get in putty now you get a message “Firewall Start now” all the time.
This is not a complain, I’m just writting here what happened with me, and maybe (just maybe) this can help someone.
Sorry if my text is a little misunderstood, as I’m not american and my english is not good.

Hey team,

Sorry for jumping back on this thread, but we’re running into a similar issue again.

We’ve got a FreePBX 14.0.1.24 running on AWS EC2 and each time the server restarts (for whatever reason) our only ethernet interface is reset to a “New Interface” in the Trusted zone.

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 before restart:
# Created by cloud-init on instance boot automatically, do not edit.
#
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:b4 (removed)
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
ZONE=external
DESCRIPTION=“unset”

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 after restart:
# Created by cloud-init on instance boot automatically, do not edit.
#
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:b4 (removed - but it’s the same)
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no

In this case, our MAC address doesn’t appear to be changing - it’s just the zone being reset to Trusted.

Is there any thoughts on how to fix this? We’ve tried upgrading to the edge version of firewall (currently running 13.0.48).

Whether it’s a fix for the actual problem, or a way of automatically putting new interfaces into the Internet zone instead of the Trusted zone (so we don’t restart overnight and suddenly have a completely exposed PBX)?

Appreciate any help.

Cheers,

James.

At a guess, Amazon is re-writing the interface file on every boot. Try removing cloud-init.

I have had this “problem” for a year on 4 AWS instances. The solution was very simple. I assume you have elastic IP set up so that you always have the same IP to attach if you change instances. In the same way, you can set up a network interface and name it. Once you attach this to your instance it will remain the same every time you boot. Takes all of 2 minutes to set up.

2 Likes