Fax Pro (XactFax) module: what's the purpose/meaning of FAX Forward option "Send to Local Extension"?

If I forward (in the FAX Pro User Guide I read “Click this option to forward the fax to any other extension or outside fax number”) a received FAX by selecting the FAX and hit Forward a dialog window shows up asking to provide the number to forward to with a “Send to Local Extension” flag eventually to be applied.

The strange thing that happens is that if I select “Send to Local Extension” (I expect a local FAX machine to ba a Local Extension) and set the forward destination number to a real FAX machine connected to the FreePBX Distro system (let me say Extension number 30) I receive these errors and forwarding doesn’t happen.

freepbx*CLI> [2013-09-03 09:36:50] NOTICE[8266][C-0000003c]: chan_local.c:968 local_call: No such extension/context [email protected] while calling Local channel [2013-09-03 09:36:50] NOTICE[8266][C-0000003c]: chan_local.c:968 local_call: No such extension/context [email protected] while calling Local channel [2013-09-03 09:36:50] NOTICE[8266][C-0000003c]: channel.c:5694 __ast_request_and_dial: Unable to call channel Local/[email protected] [2013-09-03 09:36:50] NOTICE[8266][C-0000003c]: channel.c:5694 __ast_request_and_dial: Unable to call channel Local/[email protected] freepbx*CLI>

On the contrary (what I shouldn’t expect) if I don’t select “Send to Local Extension” and I do forward the received FAX to the same Extension number 30 as above the FAX goes printed on 30 flawlessly without any error!

So “Send to Local Extension” what means exactly? shouldn’t it be “Send to External Extension”?

Best regards, Davide.

And with “flawlessly” wrote above I mean that, manually refreshing the page FAX page, I can see “Successfully Queued” then “In progress” and finally “OK” status messages of Forwarded FAX.

Send to local means send it to the Local Extension internal fax spool. Not a extension connected to a fax machine.

Sorry, I don’t understand what, practically, local extension internal FAX spool means…in my ignorance I though that a received FAX could be (manually) eventually forwarded to:

• an Internal Extension (a Real FAX G.3 machine) for printing
  • an External FAX (forwarding to outside FAX)

and, despite it doesn’t appear as a straight possible choice, also:

• a Printer (printer spool via CUPS?)

Probably I’m missing a lot of informations and Help tips aren’t so clear (Or “idiot proof” as I like to say) as they would be.

When picking local it just sends a copy of the fax to the users fax inbox as a PDF. When not picking local it sends a outbound fax to whatever number you tell it to forward to. Basically does a outbound fax so that a external application can answer the call and receive a fax.

Thanks Tony. I appreciate your patience. Now I understand. So received FAXes could be forwarded (also) as PDF between user’s FAX Inbox. I will try this feature. Thanks again. You all are doing a GREAT job!

Best regards, Davide.