FAX Module

Hello,
Installed and built fax module res_fax and res_fax_digium to Asterisk 1.6.2.7. All proceeded OK per CentOS and Asterisk CLI responses.
Have not been able to figure out how to configure FreePBX for electronic fax send/receive. Can someone please provide step-by-step FreePBX configuration instructions?
Thanks,
Tom Nall
Progressive Consulting
Crystal Lake, IL.

Yes, running FreePBX 2.8. Perhaps I’m misusing the “scripts” terminology. Here is where I’m at - can test fax receive for already installed Asterisk module by using feature 666, dialed from an analog fax connected to another extension through ATA. This works fine, TIFF file is created in /var/spool/asterisk/fax. Looking at the extensions_custom.conf code you’ve kindly provided, it looks like it

1. creates an incoming fax extension
  2. assigns a DID to the fax extension
  3. provides a TIFF to PDF conversion
  4. provides an outgoing email facility

(maybe not necessarily in that order…)

The trick is to figure out how to connect to the extension, which from other reading I’ve done today, appears to doable using FreePBX Custom Extensions and/or Custome Destinations modules. My current plan is to hack the code you’ve provided into my extensions_custom.conf file, then figure out how to connect to the created extension. Thanks for your help so far, would appreciate if you can comment on above.

Best,
Tom Nall
Progressive Consulting

Thanks! Suspected that scripting is necessary as we tried all obvious FreePBX fax configuration GUI switches with no positive result. Note that analog fax thru ATA to fax test code 666 does produce a TIF file in /var/spool/asterisk/fax.

No scripts are necessary. Is the FAX modules loaded from Asterisks perspective (can you run FAX commands from CLI)?

Are you running FreePBX 2.8?

Maybe this link can help you:
http://code.google.com/p/efax4asterisk/w/list