Fail2ban fail to start "sng-deskapp Jail"

Hello guys im stumped on this. i update the firewall to 16.0.57.6 and fail2ban stopped working. i ssh to the pbx and get this error.

# systemctl -l status fail2ban
● fail2ban.service - Fail2Ban Service
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/fail2ban.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: start-limit) since Fri 2023-02-17 11:23:40 EST; 5min ago
  Process: 12364 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fail2ban-client -x start (code=exited, status=255)
  Process: 12362 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir -p /var/run/fail2ban (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: fail2ban.service: control process exited, code=exited status=255
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: Failed to start Fail2Ban Service.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: Unit fail2ban.service entered failed state.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: fail2ban.service failed.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: fail2ban.service holdoff time over, scheduling restart.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: Stopped Fail2Ban Service.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: start request repeated too quickly for fail2ban.service
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: Failed to start Fail2Ban Service.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: Unit fail2ban.service entered failed state.
Feb 17 11:23:40 evinox-freepbx systemd[1]: fail2ban.service failed.

i then ran this and got this error

# fail2ban-client -x start
ERROR  No file(s) found for glob /var/log/asterisk/sangomartapi/rtapi.log
ERROR  Failed during configuration: Have not found any log file for sng-deskapp jail

anyone running to this problem?

fwconsole ma downloadinstall framework
fwconsole ma downloadinstall core
fwconsole ma downloadinstall firewall
fwconsole ma downloadinstall sysadmin
fwconsole chown
fwconsole r
fwconsole restart

If in anyway sangoma is out of sync with fail2ban (they have been for 8 years right now) then although current versions of f2b will not object to missing log files, ancient ones will happily parse an empty file ‘neutrally’ so make one . .

touch  /var/log/asterisk/sangomartapi/rtapi.log 

This should get you up and running with what you have, why the f2b jails are not properly configured is an ongoing question . . .

Well I tryed what Comtech said and Dicko next and this is what i got back

Error Output:
================
Job for fail2ban.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status fail2ban.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

and then tryed the Touch and got this

]# touch  /var/log/asterisk/sangomartapi/rtapi.log
touch: cannot touch ‘/var/log/asterisk/sangomartapi/rtapi.log’: No such file or directory

i think i may have to restore form backup.

In the absence of that directory, then first

mkdir /var/log/asterisk/sangomartapi

Again, that needs Sangoma to fix it properly

1 Like

LoL your right. i was crossed eyes trying to fix this. that work making the directory and then the file
thanks guys

I had the same issue. Mkdir and Touch commands resolved it for us as well.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.