External calls from ring group use wrong trunk

For after hours routing, I have a call flow control set that such that if it is after hours all calls are routed to a ring group which dials an external number for the answering service. The curious part is, of the two outbound trunks I have setup (primary/secondary), the call from the ring group uses the second sip trunk…although both have the same dial patterns. These two trunks are setup inside the same outbound route config. Outbound calls from the extensions during the day route perfectly. It is only in the after hours were calls are generated from the ring group that the wrong sip trunk is used.

Does anyone have any insight into why the secondary trunk would be selected over the primary.

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

There’s got to be an outbound route getting in the way. Somewhere, the trunk order is changed preferring the second trunk over the first.

To be honest, though, my experience is that this is really how you want it to happen. I’ve had problems in the past sending an external call back out over the same trunk it came it on.

Thanks for the reply. So both trunks are configured inside the same outbound route. One as primary and then the other in second position serves as fail-over. Interestingly, the second trunk is from the same provider as the inbound call…which may give a clue to what’s happening. The primary outbound trunk is a different provider. You would think that any outbound call would look at the configured outbound route and follow it…but something is different when the call is initiated from a ring group. Things that make you go hmmm…

Yeah - that’s bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that the primary might be failing (quietly, perhaps) and the call is getting rolled over to the other trunk.