Extensions unreachable

I’ve been working on this all week and come up with a big nothing. We are moving over to a FreePBX system first of the year and I’m in the process of getting things setup and ready for the move.

I have 3 phones configured and intermittently I get something like this in the log files:

[2013-12-20 13:14:09] NOTICE[1852] chan_sip.c: Peer ‘563’ is now Reachable. (23ms / 2000ms)
[2013-12-20 13:15:13] NOTICE[1852] chan_sip.c: Peer ‘563’ is now UNREACHABLE! Last qualify: 23

sip show peer xxx shows that the peer is unreachable.

The phones are on a separate network in the building, the PBX is located at a hosting facility a few miles away. We have a 100mbit connection to the public internet that rarely sees over 6mbit of traffic. The extensions have NAT turned on. I’ve tried different qualifyfreq with no results.

When the phone is ‘unreachable’ it is still able to dial other extensions on the system just fine. It is also able to make outgoing calls to the PSTN, but the other internal extensions are unable to reach the phone. They either ring a couple of times then get the ‘the person at xxx is unavailable’ or I get no rings, no voice and then hangup after about 5 seconds.

I’m at a loss. My firewall here and at our colocation facility aren’t dropping anything, but yet extensions suddenly drop out and then reacquire for a short period.

I don’t know if it matters, but we are testing with Yealink phones.

All help appreciated.

In case anyone else has the same issue and stumbles across this. The problem for us seemed to be our firewall (Sonicwall NSA-240). In VoIP --> Settings make sure that everything is off EXCEPT ‘Enable consistent NAT’. Our test phones have been connected and able to call each other without show unreachable for several hours now.