Errors adding extensions / IVR / Ring group

Good morning!

I am a managed IT provider and have limited phone system knowledge. A client I recently acquired has a FreePBX server setup. They are a school so this server does all their phone system stuff as well as the class bells for elementary and high school. So somewhat complex compared to the other phone systems I use.

We are currently running version 14. Prior to the last month, this thing has been rock solid and I haven’t had to touch it. But recently we’ve had issues with static (which has self resolved) and now no voicemails. Parents will call in and leave a VM that kids won’t be attending or will be late, but nothing ever shows up on the front desk phones. We haven’t made any changes. My IVR still works as expected and routes appropriately. The extensions on their have VM’s setup. It’s almost like it’s not actually recording, or it’s recording and not being stored? I don’t know. Where should I look and what should I look at?

Update 9/16 I restored using a backup from 2-3 weeks ago. Now if I click on any extensions, try to add a IVR, or pretty much anything I get similar errors to this…hoping there is a quick fix…

Exception thrown with message “Array
(
[name] => Main Incoming_COPY_
[alertinfo] =>
[description] => Main - Regular
[announcement] => 2
[directdial] => Disabled
[invalid_loops] => 3
[invalid_retry_recording] => default
[invalid_destination] =>
[invalid_recording] => default
[retvm] =>
[timeout_time] => 10
[timeout_recording] => default
[timeout_retry_recording] => default
[timeout_destination] =>
[timeout_loops] => 3
[timeout_append_announce] => 0
[invalid_append_announce] => 0
[timeout_ivr_ret] => 0
[invalid_ivr_ret] => 0
[rvolume] => 0
[strict_dial_timeout] => 2
)
SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column ‘strict_dial_timeout’ in ‘field list’::”

Stacktrace:
#4 Exception in /var/www/html/admin/libraries/utility.functions.php:207
#3 die_freepbx in /var/www/html/admin/modules/ivr/functions.inc.php:467
#2 ivr_save_details in /var/www/html/admin/modules/ivr/functions.inc.php:431
#1 ivr_configprocess in /var/www/html/admin/libraries/components.class.php:469
#0 component:processconfigpage in /var/www/html/admin/config.php:450

1. Check if VM for that extension is set to delete after sending an email.
  2. Check if the voicemail box is full.
  3. To get the real answer as to what is happening, please provide a call trace using pastebin. See wiki: https://wiki.freepbx.org/display/SUP/Providing+Great+Debug#ProvidingGreatDebug-AsteriskLogs-PartII

Thank you for the reply.

1. We do not have it being sent to email, and delete is turned off.
  2. The main 2 VM’s I am concerned with, according to the GUI, have 0 VM’s in them.
  3. I will check this out

I think I did it

https://pastebin.freepbx.org/view/84e82e60

pastebin has zero lines

Can I just copy and paste it? I have done it a few times and indeed it keeps showing up empty

Copy/paste to pastebin.freepbx.org and share the link.

How’s this?

https://pastebin.freepbx.org/view/raw/8c7100ad

Not enough info. Try
grep 00003f03 /var/log/asterisk/full*

https://pastebin.freepbx.org/view/3c8a91cf

Starting at line 380:

/var/log/asterisk/full:[2021-09-10 10:41:02] VERBOSE[3255][C-00003f03] app_voicemail.c: Recording the message
/var/log/asterisk/full:[2021-09-10 10:41:02] VERBOSE[3255][C-00003f03] app.c: x=0, open writing:  /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/116/tmp/7zCj9Z format: wav, 0x7f4af048add0
/var/log/asterisk/full:[2021-09-10 10:41:07] VERBOSE[3255][C-00003f03] app.c: User hung up

OK, so did the caller really hang up after only 5 seconds? If so, why? Did they simply decide not to leave a message? If the call ended because of a technical problem, what did the caller hear? The length of non-silence was likely less than the minimum message length, so it is not surprising that nothing was saved. If the problem is intermittent and you need to analyze this call, I’d try to contact the caller to find out what they observed at their end.

Otherwise, call in yourself and attempt to leave a longer message, e.g. 15 seconds. If it fails, paste the log for that call.

This was a test call from a staff member, so that’s likely why it was short. I’ll see if they can provide #'s of people who have called in and left a message that we did not receive and see what I can find.

Make another test call with a longer message. If it fails, that’s easy to analyze. If not, we can search the log for ‘Recording the message’ and look at what happened in the various cases.

1 Like

Also make sure the message is not just silence as your silence detection settings for voicemail might keep it from being saved.

1 Like

If this is the case, the log would indicate as such.

1 Like

This has taken a interesting turn.

Test call this morning, did not ring the front desk, and went straight to VM. VM was delivered. Rebooted phone and the 2nd test call rang through. Third test call did not ring in, went directly to VM and no VM delivered. I’m working on pulling the logs from the last test call.

Still having issues with calls coming in. Sometimes it will go through the ring group, other times it just immediately goes to a VM. What would cause something like this?

We still need the logs from that last call you mentioned. That being said, are these calls being routed to the same voicemail?

The pastebin site keeps giving DB errors and won’t load. Can I just copy/paste here? No, different VM’s

Is it the same voicemail that is having issues each time?

ls -al /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/ext

where ext is the extension of your VM