EPM module - Seriously its $150 now? Do I see that right?

Kyle

This ticket is from March. I apologize for the confusion on it but I am not seeing a bug being reported. You are stating your TFTP server is not giving configs to your phone anymore. EPM only writes out configs it does nothing with TFTP setup or provisioning server itself which is why Support requested credits be added to dig into why your TFTP server on your PBX was not sending configs to the phone.

I get its a fine line but the included support with CMs are for bugs in the CM only and since EPM doesnā€™t touch your TFTP server we would not investigate or help you solve that problem with Free Support from your CM purchase.

I get that, it corrected itself with a later update, so even if it didnā€™t have a bug report filed it still had a bug that did get corrected with code changes on the Sangoma side. As I said, it got corrected by Sangoma updates, so itā€™s moot at this point for the actual ticket.

Still shouldnā€™t have taken 26 credits off for telling me they wouldnā€™t help either.

Tony,

Thanks for the resolution. I had a good conversation with Chris and Iā€™m happy with the direction it took.

1 Like

As a customer, not a VAR, this insignificant increase is worth every penny. Especially when you compare the TCO of a FreePBX system to most of the other PBX systems that are currently available. The EPM, while needing a little more love, does work and does save us countless man hours a year in manual work.

Thank you for the great work to date and we look forward to an even better future with your products and support.

B

2 Likes

I would greet a tool inside EPM to let the community create their own manufacturers and phones. With a thing like a Basefile designer.

This is maybe a lot of work but should be possible, because every possible individual command is already generateable with EPM.

And also every button for expansions etc. is already generateable.

If Sangoma develops EPM like this, than they can focus more on developing the ā€œBaseā€ Epm System and the community will create and edit templates for phones.

This could possibly expand EPM with a lot of phones and Sangoma only has to care about EPM Base System and its Certified phone Partners.

I would make 2 Repositorys for the phone Configs. Community Repository and Sangoma Certified Phones.

It would also Speed Up Firmware Update Packages and Config basefile corrections within short terms. This is our biggest problem at the moment. Most of the uncertified phones already need a lot of basefile corrections to make them working correctly.

More thinkingā€¦
Sure it is a commercial tool but there is no reason why sangoma has to care about all phones. EPM as perfect working Commecrial module and the phone packages for all manufacturers could be GPL to let the community also work on it.

There could be a ā€œBasefile Packageā€ update tool with versioning and let all customers decide if they want to download a update package for basefiles with Manufacturer ā€œxyzā€ like in the module update manager.

Just a idea but i would greet it.

Sorry that would be way to many problems and create even more tickets. EPM is about being somethign that should be stable and always work and letting someone add custom things would break it all the time and create more problems and support.

If GPL was a option for this than the existing GPL OSS EPM would have people contributing to it and maintaining it we would not need to have a paid one. We have invested millions over the last 7 years into EPM no way it would be given away for free or GPL when one exist already.

I meaned just the community could bring new phones gpl into EPM but EPM itself stays as it is as a commercial module.

Everything is already stable and works. But the new Technologies like TLS/SRTP PJSIP / Provisioning with HTTPS, need a lot of modifications to all phones to get them working.

Editing the basefiles is just a workaround but should never be the final solution for EPM.

For me a stable EPM works with new Technologies without needing to change anything inside all Basefiles.

But we already talked about the staff resources on this module here and i dont want to bring this discussion into a never ending circle.

Ok well itā€™s a neat idea but itā€™s not practical and would take re-designing EPM from the ground up. As far as your feedback on things like SRTP their is only a few request or votes for such a feature in the issue tracker and itā€™s why the basefile editor exist and our focus currently is making sure basefile works all the time and not whoops errors everytime something changes somewhere and getting proper unit code coverage in EPM which alone is months of work so late his year we can look at features once we get through all the automated QA coverage we want to get done first.

Setting things in Basefile is still using EPM and GUI so not sure why itā€™s such a big deal. Most other PBXs that have support for 3rd party phones done even let you change hard coded options and if you do you canā€™t ever reapply a template.

Lastly non certified manufactures will never get advanced features or anything more than basic registration of the device and BLF/speeddials buttons. We have made that clear from day one and is stated in our documentation. Our focus is Sangoma Phones first and and secondly Certified Partners. Sangoma Phones will always have alot or options as we have choose to focus on EPM for Sangoma Phones and not a great GUI for the phone like other manufactures do.

That will not change just so the record is straight here and nobody expects something different.