EPM and Line keys

I now have a Sangoma S505 for testing. It is connected via VPN from my house to my office where the FreePBX system is located.
I manually uploaded the vpn config file and set the primary SIP server address, user ID and password in the phones GUI and it is connected and workking.

I can program all of the line keys using the GUI but I am curious as to why I cannot make that work via EPM.

Looking at the extension in ‘Applications/Extensions’ and the ‘Other’ tab, Brand, MAC, Template, Model and account are all set correctly.

From EndPoint Manager, the extension is added and all the settings seem correct.

Looking at the template I can see that is maked as used by the extension I am setting up.

If I edit the template and change some of the line keys settings (or anything else) and then ‘Save, rebuild configs and update phones’ and apply and a message shows up on the phone - ‘Provisioning please wait’ followed by ‘Provisioning sucessful’ but nothing on the phone changes.

Is there anything obvious I am not doing that I should?

Setting up the phone manually is fine but will make any changes to it once it reaches it’s final home is more complicated.

Obviously, your EPM setup is wrong. Because otherwise it would create the correct configuration file with the correct VPN settings.

Where is it wrong? No idea. But until you can default the phone and have it correctly pick up configuration from EPM, you are not going to get anything to work.

I do not get your obsession with VPN. It is a horrible kludge and serves no purpose with phone calls. Just use normal UDP or as I told you in your other thread to use TLS & SRTP.

Your POTS line or mobile does not have any of this. Why this weird jump to some weird thing just because voip?

I had read on here previously that it was more secure using a VPN connection and not leaving ports open that I did not have to. If VPN is such a horrible kludge and serves no purpose, why is is in incorporated in the FreePBX system?

VPN is not an obsession, I just made 1 previous post and was trying to make it work, because I thought it was the best way to have the remote handsets connect. If that is not the case then I stand corrected.

Regarding the issue with EPM, The phone came to me defaulted and I have reset it several time whilst tring to get it to auto provision.

I followed the steps in the documentation and tried what I could before asking on here to see if anyone could offer help.

Telecoms and FreePBX is not my specialty, I have a very limited knowledge in these areas, only what I know from trying to set up a system on behalf of the company I work for. Working in the events industry during a forced shut down through the pandemic, this was a necessity to try and have staff communicate remotely but on a very limited budget.

I am a member of a few other forums in areas where I do have some skills and try to contribute where I can help.

This generally involves reading new posts and where I think I can offer an answer or constructive help in getting to a solution, I will do so. I don’t think I have ever said anything like ‘Obviously XXX is wrong’, ‘Where is it wrong, No Idea’. What purpose can this serve?

Surely the whole reason a person asks a question on a forum is because something is wrong and the answer is beyond their knowledge and they are hoping someone with more experience or knowledge can help.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post but I just wish it had been more constructive with steps towards a possible resolution.

If you had defaulted the phone, then it will talk to the Sangoma redirection service.
You manage that in the Sangoma portal (portal.sangoma.com).

Said service will tell the defaulted phone to look at your PBX for it’s config.

If you have properly set up the redirection service and EPM, when the phone receives the instruction form the redirection service, it will then hit your PBX and attempt to pull a valid configuration.

I could easily be more helpful if you had supplied any kind of basic detail about what is actually occurring in either of your threads.

Is the defaulted phone hitting the redirection service?
If the phone then hitting the PBX?
Is it puling a config?
Is there a config to pull?

You have provided zero information that is useful for anything.

Thank you for the reply.

I understand that posts for help without much (or any) detail about the system or settings is not helpful but I was not sure where the problem could have been and did not want to list pages of detail from the portal and FreePBX system straight away.

I went through your steps and noticed that there was a typo in the phone username on the redirection service, admim instead of admin. I had checked over that several time but only noticed when I was trying to copy and paste into a reply here.

After changing that and defaulting the phone it pulled the config from my PBX, line keys are all set but although VPN is active on the phone, it won’t connect and Sys Admin / VPN confirms it is not connected so it is not getting the VPN file correctly from the PBX. It does connect if I manually upload the VPN file again. I guess this where the VPN horrible kludge comes in. I do agree it is adding a layer of complexity but I would like to know why it is not working whilst I look into your other suggestions.

Looking at the phones GUI the primary SIP server is also set to 10.8.0.1:5060 instead of the local address 192.168……. Again, it registers if I change this.

I suppose my question is where in the settings is the config file getting the 10.8.0.1 from. The Sip Destination address in the template in EPM is correct. Internal address in the Global settings is also correct.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.