Endpoint Manager seems to create MAC.cfg file without specific firmware APP_FILE_PATH

have installed FreePBX Stable-2.210.62-6 with Asterisk 1.8. I installed the Polycom Firmware for the phones and configured several devices with model IP 650 and IP 670.

The firmware for each specific model is downloaded correctly to /tftpboot (ie. 2345-12670-002.sip.ld, 2345-17960-001.sip.ld).

However, “sip.ld” is not downloaded which is fine. I am using the OSS Endpoint Device List to configure which model phone I am using.

The problem I am seeing with this particular install is that the .cfg file is created with the parameter APP_FILE_PATH=“sip.ld” as opposed to what I expected which would be APP_FILE_PATH=“2345-12670-002.sip.ld”.

Perhaps I am missing something here, missed a step or did something wrong.

If this has been posted before, I apologize, “sip.ld” appears in quite a bit of posts and I have not been able to find a way to search for exactly what I am describing here.

sip.ld is what Polycom calls combined firmware (many models in one build) It is aweful and takes up too much phone resources.

The 23345-12670 is the firmware for a 670, that filename is coded into the phones bootrom.

Thanks SkyKing. Just to make sure I understand properly. When the cfg file tells the phone to load sip.ld, it tries to load the specific firmware first and if it does not find it, then it will load sip.ld (Which I agree is not good).

That is correct. I think this is the default behavior. The key is to make sure you never have sip.ld in your tftp server.

A variety of things can happen:

1 - If you have a combined image and a compatable boot ROM it’s going to upgrade/downgrade the phone possibly to a PRE-UC code that would not work well with the newer xml tags used by the EPM

2 - You will get an image not found error

3 - If you have the right combined image it will load (taking forever because the file is the size of the windows kernel) and then the phone will run slow because it has no free space.

Basically you just need to make sure all the individual images Polycom distributes are in tftp.

BTW, this stuff is tedious and hard. I am sure as the EPM evolves the default configs will be more worthwhile. Whenever I take on a new phone type I budget 40 hours to get the config tweaked, documented and process written to give to our techs. The expectation of simply clicking and magically configuring a multi-vendor open source solution is not reasonable. The proprietary systems aren’t even quite that easy.